Soft poop-please help

Brenda B

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:50 am

I have acidophilis bifidus from the health food store...it has dextrose in it...is that ok?

I can get critical care tomorrow. I thought it would be bad to force feed if she was eating so I did not get any, but my vet carries it. He is only 20 minutes away.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:53 am

You don't necessarily have to force feed the CC. I have several elderly pigs that eagerly eat it right off of the spoon. Sidney, even when her belly was upset, has always loved CC and just chowed on it. I don't believe in force feeding unless it is a last resort and the pig is not eatting at all. Critical Care though is more like a suppliment, you don't have to syringe feed it, just mix it up in a bowl and feed with a spoon.

All of my pigs prefer their CC to be slightly warmed up instead of room temperature.

Brenda B

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:57 am

ah ha! That I did not know! I will serve up some warm CC for dessert tomorrow!

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:58 am

I have a couple of boars who eat their CC from a bowl! It does have to be the right mix of CC flavors and the right consistency, but they love it and beg for it every morning.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:04 am

Oh I always serve it on a plate unless the animal is too sick to eat it that way. Piggy will eat it served any style (which is why his name is Piggy). Smudgie doesn't mind temperature but he loves it to be very watery and messy. He also dislikes getting his beard washed which is a problem but at least he has a good, healthy weight.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:34 am

Same with Hamy, my Texel. Must have it sloppy, hates face washed, but only keeps weight on with daily bowl of CC. Wooly feels he must share, so I serve it in a low sided double cat dish so if they push each other away they each have a spot. ;-)

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:16 pm

any recipes would be great...I tried it with Sierra today and she hated it. I force fed a bit as she seems to have taken a turn and her poops are very bad again. :(

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Sending good thoughs for Sierra, and I hope her day improves.

LINKS - Critical Care Recipes for Handfeeding

Hope this helps!

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:49 pm

tried baby food...more ON me than IN her...so tomorrrow I will buy some Odawalla Superfood...

JoePig

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:36 am

My pigs only like the apple-banana CC.
Not the "original" CC, which is kind of anise smelling.

Mixing the apple-banana CC with unsweetened applesauce was a huge hit.

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:55 am

today her poops seems worse...

she is eating and drinking and I see her eat some of her own special poops...maybe she reinfected herself???

she acts normal but her poops are extra soft today...

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Every time I hold her I wonder if it will be the last time...I am having bad feelings about this.

She is on flagyl and albon, getting CC mixed with pedialyte and poop soup...what else can I do???

I love sitting and watching tv whith her...I twist her long locks of hair while she snuggles under me neck...I will miss that...my other 2 are short haired.