DMSO with Fluocin with Baytril topical for Bumblefoot?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:07 pm

Tell me about it! I get myself into more trouble...

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:37 pm

Oh yeah? Tell us about it!

LynnK

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:17 pm

Well it looks like maybe my Peanut has Bumble Foot it´s swollen a bit but not red at all and he has a scab behind one toe nail and then one pad is a little swollen. I can´t get into the vet until
next wednesday so I guess I will just have to try and keep the swelling down until then.

Zoe

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:41 pm

My major bumblefoot girl is doing slightly better. Her´s probably involves the bone. The swelling is slightly less, but still bad. She´s on TMS and chlorhexidine soaks daily. The best thing I discoved was bandaging the open wound with NEW SKIN Wound & Blister Dressing. You can cut it to the size you need and if you get it on right, it stays on really well and lets the wound drain while still being covered. She´s going to have to be bandaged for a long time and it isn´t hurting the skin on her feet like regular bandages do. Her wound looks really good now... like its healing.

Hope you can keep it from getting worse. You are lucky you can jump on it right now. Maggie was stuck in a stinky over crowded Hollister dog carrier for a long time with this foot... while pregnant.

LynnK

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:03 pm

gee whiz poor maggie I´m sure she have enough to deal with the preganancy and to have a sore foot to good luck with her Zoe

Frootloop

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:55 pm

My skinny pig just over this,
It was traumatic. My vet prescribed some suringed medicine mixed with pineapple juice (to which he loved) and what helped is soaking it in epsom salt and warm water, he didnt figit too much.

I paniced the first time it happened but this stuff really helped!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:18 am

Gosh, I wondered why such an old thread was brought up again.... Good thing I looked at the dates.

Frootloop

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Definately its exciting to see other Pig lovers adn i'm not just alone in this!!!!!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:42 pm

If I may throw in a random but related question for you folks. I just saw another vetrinary use of DMSO for horses as I was researching ivermectin the other day. Is this a standard vetrinary (or human) medical product?

I'm surprised because I work in a biological research lab and the bottle of DMSO has a lot of warnings on it precisely because it does penetrate human skin and will bring along with it anything that happens to be around, in this case the antibiotic/antifungal. Latex gloves most likely will not block DMSO; you would need nitrile or possibly plastics.

Luckily I don't have a bumblefoot pig but am a card carrying nerd and so was hoping to learn a bit. Thanks!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:33 pm

It is a veterinary product for mainly large animals. It is rarely used with small animal medicine.

jilly_mn

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:22 am

Hi everyone!

We've been battling bumblefoot in our 5 year old American breed male piggy. (Cokie) One thing we found that has really helped in addition to the antibiotics and foot soaks.... is a whirlpool foot bath. This was suggested by our vet to help increase circulation. What we do is use the bubbler for a small fish tank. Cokie is laid back enough to just sit with his one foot in a bowl of water with a little betadine added, and we hold the plastic bubbler tube in the water by his foot to make it like a whirlpool. We do this twice a day and have gotten very good results. Good luck!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:06 pm

How interesting! Sounds like he might enjoy it (warm water I trust?).