Otis' Medical Thread (Polyp?)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 pm

I have no advice just crossed fingers here. Poor baby.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 pm

No advice but *positive thoughts* being sent.

I can certainly empathize. Just take it one step at a time, sef.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Thank you both. Looks like it may be a UTI (I'm not even going to think the "S" word--hoping it's "just" a urinary tract infection). I sat him in a chair with a white towel, and even though I hadn't seen anything on the fleece or towels underneath in their cage, there was very obvious blood on the white towel when he peed a few minutes ago.

Started him on Bactrim; I don't think I should wait.

Poor little guy. Bladder trouble on top of everything else.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Oh, I'm sorry for the little guy too. I hope your vet is able to help.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:50 am

Poor Otis. I'm sending good thoughts for his appointment, and hoping that things go well.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:50 am

Thanks. It's 3-degrees outside. I am nervous about taking the boys out, but not sure our vet would be able to squeeze us in later today.

Going to go nuke the Snuggle Safe and stick it down under the fleece in the carrier.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:03 am

Fingers still crossed. I hope you all manage the cold ok.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:32 am

Idiot me accidentally left the car outside last night. Coldest night of the year so far, and I left the darn car out. Unreal.

Anyway, Otis has two things going on -- an infection under that polyp in his ear (and a second polyp that has formed underneath the first one), and a UTI. We didn't do an x-ray, but Dr. M didn't really see a lot of crystals and said she didn't really suspect a stone at this point. We're going to continue with the Bactrim and let her know on Friday if there isn't any improvement by then. His genitals are really swollen this morning. Poor little guy. :(

She did a gram stain on the pus from the ear, and said it was several different bacteria. We're treating that with Animax otic gel (and hopefully the ear will also benefit from the Bactrim). Animax sounds familiar, but I haven't had a chance yet to do a search for it here. ?

Dr. M said she wasn't sure if Otis would be a good candidate for polyp surgery or not. Since she's usually very confident about these things, I trust her judgment if she thinks we should just let it be for now. The key is keeping the area underneath the polyps clean. That was my fault; I was nervous about messing with it too much, and let it get dirty. She showed me how to get up under the polyp with a Q-tip (something tells me it's going to be a 2-person job).

Fingers crossed that the UTI clears up...there is no stone...and the polyp infection responds to the Animax.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:41 am

I see where Animax is the generic for Panalog.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:36 pm

Sending more good thoughts for Otis, and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I also hope the ear cleaning goes smoothly.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks, tracis. It's going to be a challenge. He's blind in one eye and I suspect losing sight in the other, and he gets very panicky even for toenail trims. I just know this is going to totally freak him out.

That gunk in his ear was nasty. I feel terrible that I hadn't been doing a good enough job with it. :((

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:53 pm

Question. I have a bottle of Bactrim that is dated 11/1/2007; at some point I wrote on it that it expires 12/08. I have another bottle dated 7/07, and a vet wrote on it that it expires 2/09. Year and a half. Can someone remind what the shelf life is of Bactrim? Do you think the bottle that expires 12/08 is still okay to use?

I have a newer bottle, but would like to use up my older stuff first. Just want to make sure it's still effective.

Gotta share this. The visit today was $70 for the ear culture, urine sample and ear medication. I was a little nervous about paying the bill right before the holidays, but when I told husband what the visit came to, he said, "That's okay. It's for Otis; he's family!" :)

Love that man.