Otis' Medical Thread (Polyp?)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Awe, such a good man your husband is. Hugs to little Otis too.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:42 pm

Sef, the expiration on your bottle probably depends on the expiration of the big bottle of liquid/powder that it was made from. I'd trust what you wrote down but I also wouldn't fret much about a week here and there (although it may be less effective now).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:08 am

I decided to go ahead and use the newer bottle, after more crying when he peed last night. He had already had 3 doses of Bactrim by then; I would have expected him to start feeling a little better.

He's eating veggies but not pellets, and mostly just sits in his bed. I'm going to start handfeeding if he hasn't perked up by tonight. I also started him on some Metacam.

Ear cleaning and ear meds tonight. Wish us both luck. He fights me tooth and nail w/ just the Bactrim; this isn't going to be easy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:04 pm

Question on cleaning the ear with the polyp. Dr. M said that I need to get into a routine of cleaning it every day from now on. Does anyone know if Epi-Otic is too drying for daily use, and if it is, would diluted vinegar be less harsh? Or is there another commercial product that would be more appropriate for daily use?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:43 am

You could contact the manufacturer but I like that stuff and think it would be a good choice. Keeps things dissolved and they ought to drain out.

Are there any use guidelines on the bottle?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:50 am

The bottle says "For two to three times a week to daily for routine use...or as directed by your veterinarian."

Wish I could find the fragrance-free formula.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:09 am

Meant to add...he's still crying a little when he urinates. This is Day 4 on Bactrim, and I would have thought he would have having some relief by now, especially since I'm also giving him a lose dose of Metacam with it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Could really use some feedback on this. This is Day 4 of Bactrim, and Otis is still peeing blood and crying this evening. No hunching or straining, but very visible blood in the urine and his penis seems awfully sore (I tried to extrude it again to make sure nothing was stuck up in the shaft). As far as I can tell, he's still urinating normally. I sat him on a white crib pad to gauge output a little while ago, and it looked pretty good amount-wise.

Has anyone ever had a pig with a UTI that didn't respond to Bactrim and had to be switched over to Baytril?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:17 pm

I'm sorry sef but I have no experience with a UTI. I guess everyone is pretty much off GL today. Have you tried pming Talishan or Pinta?

I hope you get someone knowledgeable to answer you soon.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:31 pm

Sending good thoughts for sweet Otis. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

"Has anyone ever had a pig with a UTI that didn't respond to Bactrim and had to be switched over to Baytril?"

Mum wrote some helpful advice for stubborn UTIs on this thread:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 90#1377290

"Does anyone know if Epi-Otic is too drying for daily use"

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but when our dog had an ear problem, the vet told us to use Epi-Otic daily, for a week.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks, tracis and Bugs Mom. I'm just a little worried (especially since I'm so afraid of having yet another stone pig). The few pigs that I've treated for a UTI that wasn't stone-related, showed improvement in just a couple of days once AB's were started. Mum's thread makes me think there can be more stubborn cases that take longer to clear up. Maybe that's the case here.

Dr. M wanted me to call tomorrow with an update regardless; guess I'll see what she has to say.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:25 pm

Holding good thoughts for you and Otis. Also hoping you get some satisfactory answers tomorrow.