WARNING: Unsafe hay holder

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:39 am

How scary! We had a hay rack like that. I chucked it a year ago. I sure hope Tweak makes a full recovery. Poor girl.

theresa

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:24 am

Awww poor Tweak! That had to be so scary for her! Thank you for the warning about that hay rack!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:35 am

I'm glad Tweak is ok. Scary to find them stuck.

I do know that one of the brands of hay has those holders in their bags as a 'free' holder. I seen it in a Target store, think the brand was Kaytee but can't remember for sure if that was the brand or not. I do know it said Animal Planet on them and that's what made me look at the bags.

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:45 am

Oh how scary! Poor Tweak! I'm so glad you fonud her.

(We now keep a pair of wire cutters in the pig room - just in case.)

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:09 am

How scary! Hope she's on the mend and glad you found her when you did. Poor piggy.

I have one of those hay mangers, but haven't been using it. Will be throwing it away now. And will also be calling my aunt, as she's currently using the same hay rack for her new piggy.

Think I'll also be keeping a pair of wire cutters on hand next to the pig cage from now on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:52 am

Thanks, Snidget, I added it.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:32 am

Oh geez, that's the hay rack I use.

I'm so glad you were able to react quickly and get Tweak out!

happyhoppy

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:41 am

How about sending the company an email of what you wrote here. I doubt they'll do much about it but maybe they'll improve the design in the future?

cavy_cool_crazy

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:50 am

I'm sorry Tweak had such an experience, it must have been a huge shock to you.

I had a similar experience a few years back with a Burgess feeder system (gravity feeder and hayrack all in one), whereby my then 8 month old pig wedged herself upside down in it, with her back twisted. She'd got in the top and tried to get out by burrowing down until she couldn't move. Her screams woke me up and my dad had to cut her out with wire cutters.
I'm wary about all hay racks unless there is no way for the pig to get into them.

Cielo

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Sorry to hear! I do have two of those racks. One is in my bird's cage. They love to lay on it (it was suppose to work as a cozy bed, but it ended up bare there). The other one I use it as my hay rack. I do not beleive it can be dangerous since my piggies are on the big side, but I am going to double check. My other racks are way to small. I guees I'll figure something out... Thanks for the information!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:37 pm

I thnk I remember another pig that got stuck in one of those.

Ledasmom

Post   » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:42 pm

I got worried enough about any hay holder made of wire that I started using small cardboard boxes as hay racks. You cable-tie the back to the grids, leave the top open for easy filling and cut one or two large openings in the front for hay access. Works pretty well, except that the day after I put them up I couldn't find Burglar anywhere in the cage. Couldn't find him, that is, until I pushed the top layer of hay in the rack aside.