Kitchens!

tia2370

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:06 pm

BTW-Weaver, if I lived closer, I'd let you keep your crew here. What I wouldn't give to care for the Weaver kids. :)
Are you sure about that, JennG? I bet the Weaver kids would get quite demanding and require a great amount of cuddle cups and cozy sacks!

A quick question about kitchens - I noticed someone said that aspen sticks to fleece really bad, but does pine? I picked up some really cheap fleece at the store today and will probably switch over before the end of the week and I was considering doing kiln-dried pine in a litter box as a kitchen. Any thoughts?

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:25 pm

JennG, the house is almost 20 years old.

It needs a new roof, new carpet, all new appliances (they are all making weird noises so I know they will all die in the same month).

Oh, and one of the windows in the piggie room won't lock because the wood around the frame is all rotten out on the outside. The window BLEW OPEN and my piggies were freaked out when the COLD air came rushing in. Thankfully, Ted was home to close the window. I am worried about what could happen if we are not home.

That window is my highest priority right now.

I live on the wrong side of town? Really? I know, its so crowded over here. I'm bad at directions. Where is southeast? Laketown? Ted's mom's in Laketown so I always think that's southeast.

I was just thinking if there was a better way to organise the piggie room. I'd really like to make an "L" like Weaver has. It would open up the floor so I had more room.

Justified

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:42 pm

I know this is about kitchens--sorry don't mean to hijack the thread.

Weaver, we have had our home for sale for over a year--can't sell it though due to the real estate market right now. :(

Anyway, to keep from scaring potential buyers, I took all the piggums out of the kitchen/breakfast area & put them upstairs in one room. We are in the south also and having animals in your KITCHEN is definitely a big no-no!

When we have showings (I request 2 hour advance notice) I lock the pig room door and hang a sign on it that says, "We are involved with small animal rescue. This room is used for that purpose. These animals are easily frightened by strangers and as such, this room is temporarily unavailable for viewing. It is a single bedroom with two closets and two ceiling fans. If you require viewing this room, please let us know and we will make arrangements. Thank you for your understanding."

We have yet to have anyone call back & request to see that bedroom.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:49 pm

That's a great idea about the sign. You could also put the rooms dimensions on it so that the buyers would have an idea. Even a couple of color pictures would work as well.

Although, if I was a buyer, I would want to see the room and I probably would want to see it when I initially was there.

And, just so that I don't hyjack the thread anymore

Here is a picture of the kitchen area. It is a 2x5 grid section of the cage.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:33 pm

I don't want to hyjack the thread, but a drop cloth over this huge cage would look like I was really trying to hide something and would look awfful. I have been debating downsizing the cages just until we move, but I feel like such a bad piggie mommy. Right now though we have to sell this small house. We have sooo outgrown it and the cost to add on is more than just moving into a larger house. I may have to be a bad piggie mommy for a few months to be a good mommy for my human kids. My kids really need more space, and the pigs need their own room with my sewing stuff. I just feel awful even thinking about downsizing, and I worry about how messy the cages will look than. I am so stressed out about this!

Let me go and locate some kitchen pictures to put the thread back where it needs to be. Maybe I will start a new thread so I have a place to "vent' during this process.

PS. Jenn thank you for offering to take the crew. You think you are busy now, add fourteen more pigs to your to-do list, three rats, one large dog, and a high maintence cat.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Ohh, you should definitely spread them around. Dibs on Mr. Peabody!

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:46 pm

This was my cage a while back. Same kitchen concept.

Bottom two cages had kitchen areas on the second level. The kitchen area is to the far left. I just used a throw mat over the fleece.

(I am thinking about doing another cage simuliar to the above one if I downsize)

Another view of the kitchen areas when I just used throw mats. I really liked doing this. Worked out fine with me changing the mats daily and shaking them out seeing hay gets all over the cage anyways. The only problem is I have a septic and hay and field lines is not a good combination. Let's just say, that was costly :P

Now my boys have the same concept, but we use a litter pan to collect most of the hay.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Oh my gosh you didn't even read my post yet and I got a Mr. Peabody Fest! Look at his tiny little tushie eating hay. I am in love. That may be one of my favorite pictures yet.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Now with the exception of the two boys' cages, all of my setups are like this. I no longer use the fiddlesticks because Allie started peeing on them everytime she entered the kitchen. Yuck!

Pans are a seperate piece of coroplast and just come out of the cage for me to dump them. The herd has a 2 x 3, the two girls cages have a 1 1/2 x 2 pan.

The wood pellets has made the cage much cleaner. It does not track like Carefresh or shavings. I do have to dump them every two days or the dust from the breakdown of the pellets begin to track out of the kitchen. I just wish I could find a way to keep the hay now in the kitchen area. *sigh* I really think it is a nonwinning battle. I am out numbered BIG time.

Keezy

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:25 pm

What sort of wood pellets do you use, WEAVER?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:30 pm

I use Equine Fresh. You can purchase it from Tracor Supply.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Weaver, it would be a pleasure to host your crew. :) I'm sure I could never live up to the Weaver standards but I'd try. ;)

So, camende...your window's not working properly. Hmmm? So when do you work? Bawhahaha! I do live close to Laketown area. I've lived in this area ever since I moved to Springfield over 16 yrs ago. I know the area the best. Girls' school is over here, too as well as DH's family.

Anyways, here are a few past kitchen areas.

We had this kitchen area w/ 3-5 piggies.

This is when there were 8 piggies in the cage.

This is a newer version when there were only 10 piggies.