Otis' Medical Thread (Polyp?)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 pm

I'm sorry Sef. I hope Otis has a good amount of comfortable time left with you. Damn stones! I wish there was good information out there.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks Bugsmom. I'm just so discouraged. We've tried to do all the "right" things -- Kleenmama pellets, fresh veggies with good Ca:P ratio, lots of good hay, fresh water daily, stimulating toys, big cage, buddy...all of it. It's just beyond discouraging that this keeps happening to us, and then there are people out there who keep their pig in a tiny pet store cage, feed them crap pellets, no veggies or hay etc., and the pig lives to be 8. My stepson is a prime example. Did all the worst possible things that we say to never do, and his pig died in its sleep at the age of 6.

Otis is crying a lot tonight. Add to this an awful day back at work today and a fight with husband this evening, and I'm just about ready to hop a plane to...pretty much anywhere.

I'm NOT going to let this drag on and on like we did with Zachary out of our own selfishness to keep him with us. If Otis doesn't seem better tomorrow, I'm going to ask Dr. M to go ahead and help him over the Bridge. It's just not fair to him to let him keep suffering like this.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:36 pm

I hear your frustration Sef. I have to think there's just a link that everyone keeps missing. Maybe it is genetic, I just don't know.

I remember your agony with Zachary. You fought so hard for him. I support your decision with Otis and not making him suffer when there's no good outcome.

I'm also sorry for your day today. It doesn't help any.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:09 pm

I've been reading this thread but never feel like I have anything of value to add.

I'm so sorry about Otis. Of course, we will support whatever decision you make for Otis. We all know how much you love your guys and how devoted you are to them.

Come on, Otis, feel better! Hugs to you, Sef.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:19 pm

Ohh Sef, I'm sorry he does not feel better :((

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:11 am

Poor Otis. I know how difficult has been to struggle with these stones. I wish gps did not have these issues.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:22 am

Oh, Sef, I am so sorry that Otis isn't improving. I completely understand what you're saying. And like Bugs Mom said, I totally support your decision if ultimately, you feel that's the best option for him.

Otis, feel better little piggy! Mama would like to enjoy life with you a little longer.

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:54 am

Sef, we had the hardest time with that decision with Widget. And I get choked up even thinking about it as I type this.

It's a very individual decision, and a lot goes into it. What it came down to for us was quality of life and likelihood of any relief from medical treatment. We knew there was very little we could do for Widgie that would give him either good quality of life or any reasonable chance of medical relief, and that is what pushed us to make that decision.

It is still one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. My thoughts are with you, no matter what happens and when.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:25 am

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the kind, supportive words.

He is a little bit brighter this morning, after such a rough night (part of it, I think, was that the vet also expressed his bladder -- and that made him hurt even more). Ate all of his breakfast veggies (barely touched them last night), and is moving around more. I know he's going to have good days and bad days; or even good times and bad times throughout any given day. I just hope we can keep him comfortable more of the time than not. As you said, the big question is quality of life.

I did have a question for you, TWP and TWP_2. I'm bumping down the Tramadol since it slows his gut so much, and bumping the Metacam way up. Dr. M agrees with this strategy. My question is, does your vet recommend using Tagamet or something similar w/ the higher doses of Metacam?

Also, does anyone have any tips for shaving the hair around an injection site? Someone else mentioned it in another post, and I think I'm going to attempt it this evening with the hair cutter that I have. Otis has very thick, coarse hair, and it's hard to see where the needle is going in.

Thanks again.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:08 pm

We don't have any experience with Tagamet, unfortunately, and the vets who helped us with the dosing are no longer at K-State. Julie Swenson is now a vet with the zoo in Phoenix, and Dr. Ketz-Riley is in Oklahoma, though I'll bet if you google "Ketz-Riley" and Oklahoma, you could find her office.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Actually, I think someone here advocates using Ranitidine (Zantac) rather than Tagamet. I'll try to do some more research on it this evening.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:32 pm

sef, I don't come here too often but saw that you posted about Otis. I'm so sorry the news wasn't better for him. I'm keeping him and you and Mr. Sef in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure Otis is very grateful to have such a great mom taking care of him.