severe mites--need Dex dose quick

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:24 am

Can you somehow put socks or something on them to keep their nails from scratching? Or tape their feet? This is really awful. If you don't have torb, meloxicam or even rimadyl in a pinch might help some of the pain.

I know there was someone here that put tube socks on the pigs to heal the sores. I know they hurt to touch, but if they can leave themselves alone for a bit, it might help.

I hate people.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:46 am

lb... I was thinking that they look just like Acorn and Thumper. Especailly the little guy in front in this last photo.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:49 am

I feel sick looking at these pix..

People suck. Can you believe that this is a surrender? Effing crap.. I'd like to take an electric sander to his a$$.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:07 am

Thanks you guys for all your help and support. I feel bad taking your donations so please do not send anything you can't spare. We do have a paypal account set up on our website. I've never tried it so I don't know if it works.

http://www.nikspiggies.org/Sponsor.html

And KM, thank you so much for the hay. It arrived yesterday and the pigs are loving it. These poor guys haven't figured out yet that it is food yet.

Cynthia and I were just talking about tube socks. I was going to wait until their vet visit tomorrow but if you think I should do it tonight I will put them on. I just feel so bad handling them because they scream in pain when touched and they are so horribly gritty and bloody. Should I just grit my teeth and put a sock on them? Will they try to take it off?

I gave them Dex so I can't give them any NSAIDS. We will get them some Torb asap. Maybe if Holly can take them in I can move up the appointment.

Kellyjo

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:24 am

CP, I see what you mean on hating humans, that makes me sick! I dont have a cc, but can I mail something? A donation?? Stupid bastard!

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:18 am

sure you can, kj. Just email me. Cavyhaven@earthlink.net

Thanks everyone, for your kindness. We'll get them some Torb tomorrow and maybe some more Dex. Then maybe some fleece so they don't have to lie on the rough shavings.

They started wheeking for food when they heard the other pigs at veggie time. Poor things. You can tell by their voices that they are weak. I did see one of them drinking water and they ate the veggies I gave them.

I'll post an update tomorrow (thanks to ChunkyPiggies, who is letting me use her email account).

zmom24piggies

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:37 am

wherewas this petco at ? that's how bad patchy looked when i first got him! Such a shame on those people!

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:18 am

Good God, Chary. No wonder you needed that Dex dose quick last night.

How anyone could let anything get to that condition...can we beat those people, please?? Better yet, lets give them a good case of sarcoptes, and not treat them for a year or so.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:24 am

Good God, Chary. Good luck with these guys. I've never seen anything so horrible or pathetic.

Um, if I HAD any money, you know I'd send you some. But I'm pretty much in the same boat you are. :=(

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:02 am

I'm afraid a tube might rub continuously and stick to the open sores. CAn you somehow fashion little booties you can put over the back feet, then tape them on? The back feet are doing the damage, they can't reach much with those little front legs.

I would cut off the fingertips of a cotton glove and slide those over the rear feet, then tape them at the upper leg.

What a friggin mess. Those poor animals.

You are more than welcome for the hay. Seems like it came just in time.

zmom24piggies

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:21 am

That's how bad patchy looked when i got him in June!
Patchy face in Mid June
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lattie ... pg&.view=t

Patchy Face in August

Patchy and his mites-getting patched up in June-after 2 baths- 2 ivo shots looked way more worse than this

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:44 am

You can also use gauze and vetwrap on the back feet. The gauze would buffer the feet from contacting the vetwrap (I don't think Nina's skin did well with direct vetwrap contact). The vetwrap is very cheap and sticks to itself. A collar of non-stretchable tape at the ankle would also secure it.

Take a look at these products on www.guinealynx.info/supplies.html if you're not familiar with them.

I would just bandage the foot itself and secure at the ankle if you don't think the vetwrap would do it.