Henry's Thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 am

This is fascinating stuff. I haven't had a chance to read the info in that link yet, but I'm definitely interested and want to understand it better.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Henry seems to have developed a fungal infection under his eye. Is this something we can treat topically? Or does it have to be oral? Also, do we need to treat Frost, too?

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Oh I wonder how he could of gotten that?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:26 pm

No idea. It seemed like he had been losing a tad of fur under his eye, but it was so slight, it was almost like we were imagining it. But it looks very much like this one, from the medical reference page:

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:49 pm

My bet is you can treat it topically if you wish, but it'll require something from the vet. Terramycin is supposed to have some antifungal properties but I have no idea how well it truly works. You can always order some Program and see if it helps before investigating other avenues. I have NO idea what other kinds of eye drops/ointments exist for fungus but surely there are right?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:23 am

I worry about using anything more that needs to be taken orally only because Henry is on Actigall, and I have no idea about interaction issues.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:33 pm

This is unrelated to the eye issue, and I don't know why this popped into my head today (after losing Otis on Monday, I guess I've been re-examining everything in their environment) -- what type of water bottles do you use, TWP? Plastic or glass?

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:32 pm

We have always used plastic bottles. The water is changed with fresh filtered water each day, and the bottles are rinsed with hot water at the water change.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:50 am

We did buy a glass bottle but we haven't installed it yet.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Poor Henry. I hope his fungus can be treated easily. I wonder if senior pigs have more trouble fending off skin problems? Momiji has been struggling with a bacterial skin problem on her back for a while that causes crusty skin and fur that pulls out in little tufts.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:00 pm

Henry was in top form at the vet's office and was flirty with the vet techs and the vet. I actually overheard one of the vet techs telling another in an excited voice that Henry let her pet him.

Our vet doesn't think it's fungus...at this point, she thinks it's some sort of low-grade bacterial infection caused by the goop that comes out of his eye not being cleaned away well. So she wants us to try eye antibiotic ointment for a week and see if that does it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm probably grasping at straws, but I've always used plastic bottles, and wondered if there might be some correlation there (thinking some funky bacterial thing?). Although, it seems like an issue with bacteria in the water bottles would present more as a gastrointestinal issue than urinary tract, but I'm running out of ideas here.

I just ordered 4 of the 8 oz. glass Lixit bottles from Rabbistop.com today to try out...

Good luck with the eye ointment. I hope it helps.