Chippy-Chippy

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:07 pm

I'll be sending get well vibes for Chippy-Chippy over the weekend. I'm sorry she's not doing well.

JoePig

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 pm

How about just water? Will Chippy-Chippy drink water syringed into her mouth?

I found our Richie laying like a carpet. He would not move to eat or drink. I tried to feed him Critical Care, but he would just spit stuff out. He was grumpy, tired, and too warm. It was late on Sunday night, so no vets. I started giving him a syringe (just a little one) of plain water every hour all night long. By the next morning he was exploring food on his own.

I hope that helps, even if it just gives you an idea.

Katdralion

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Is there an emergency vet you could take her to either tonight or tomorrow? I am so worried about her gorgeous little self.
Sending love and prayers.

Princess Aurora

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:19 pm

I found our Richie laying like a carpet. He would not move to eat or drink. I tried to feed him Critical Care, but he would just spit stuff out. He was grumpy, tired, and too warm. It was late on Sunday night, so no vets. I started giving him a syringe (just a little one) of plain water every hour all night long. By the next morning he was exploring food on his own.
I'll try this! Chippy-Chippy is behaving the same, she is slipping the CC out of her mouth, she doesn't want anything at all. Hopefully water could make her feel a little better.
Is there an emergency vet you could take her to either tonight or tomorrow?
I don't think there are. We are searching for a vet familiar with guinea pigs to take her as soon as possible.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:26 pm

I am so sorry Chippy Chippy is so sick. I pray she will be ok.
Hugs

Yuugi

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:36 pm

I don't know how it is in there, but in here you can find the number of the town's emergency vet at the town's webpage.

I really urge you to try and get her to an emergency vet as soon as possible.

I hope she pulls through.

Topaz

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm thinking of you guys, PA.

C'mon Chippy-Chippy, please get well.

Princess Aurora

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks for your thoughts!

We really searched all around for emergency vets but there really aren't any. :-( We'll see if we can take her to a vet either here or in Holland tomorrow. If not, we'll have to wait until monday.

Now, something popped up in Martijn's head: Should we put Chippy-Chippy on quarantine? We don't know what she has, could it be contagious? Hairballie and Poofy are perfectly fine, being their nutty selfs, but we really don't know what is it with Chippy-Chippy.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Whatever Chippy-Chippy may have, Hairballie and Poofy have already been exposed to it. I'm not sure I would contribute to the stress of any of the pigs by removing a cagemate until they pick on Chippy-Chippy.

The breathing issues make me wonder if Chippy-Chippy might have heart issues, or perhaps a growth of some kind in the neck area?

calicavylover

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:52 pm

I am sending healing thoughts out to little Chippy Chippy-get well sweet girl.

Princess Aurora

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:22 am

Post by Aurora's husband:

I listened to her breathing and it came back to her normal way of breathing. But that is still the only thing that became better. You can put her anywhere you want andthere is where she will stay for hours...

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:43 am

Can't offer much other to say Pippin and Pandora had been through the same thing and they recovered ok. Sending good wishes your way.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 am

Poor Chippy Chippy, sorry you feel bad. Please little one get better.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 am

Sending good thoughts for sweet Chippy Chippy, and I hope she recovers soon. This must be very scary.

TwoWhitePiggies made a good point -- have you ever read about the signs of heart problems?

http://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html#signs

Heart Pig Primer

Princess Aurora

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Today we spent the entire morning searching for vets. We jumped in the car and went through towns seeing if there were any vets's sings that could possibly be open on saturday. We ended up in the petshop here in Ochtrup asking about it, a lady gave us the number of a vet whose specialized on little animals but that it was closed today. We went home and saw Chippy-Chippy exactly in the same place where we left her when we went out. I grabbed her and she seemt so weak, the first thing that came in my mind was to prepare some new CC and to feed it to her, we weighted her and she has lost around 50 grams. We searched a vet as fast a possible on the internet and found one that was open for emergencies in Enschede, Holland. I tried to feed her some CC but she wouldn't swallow, she started to have spasms and I quickly put her inside the carried and rushed to the car.

Martijn was going on the car as fast as he could when I checked on her inside the carrier... she was gone. ''She is gone!!'' I said to him, we broke in tears and hurried up even more to make it to the vet anyway. All the way I couldn't help but to blame ourselves, for spending time searching for a vet instead of being with her, for trying to see where the heck we needed to go to find the vet adress instead of giving her a cuddle and stroke her at least in those final seconds... for not being ready for her passing.

We arrived to the vet with red eyes from all the tears we've already cried, the vet was very lovely and understanding with us. I told her we were too late but that I at least wanted to know what happened to her that she couldn't make it. She checked Chippy-Chippy's belly and said that there was something in there that didn't feel right, that either the stomach or the liver were enlarged, that unfortunatelly this is something very common in guinea pigs and that perhaps she could've had a tumour even.

I asked her what could we do with her little body, she suggested to bury her in our garden but we told her we don't have one, as we live in a flat, she then suggested their vet clinic has contact with this cremation place only for house pets. She suggested two options: to leave Chippy-Chippy there at the vet and the people from the cremation center would come for her and others on monday and it would be a common cremation, or to just cremate her individually and keep the ashes, off course we chose the second option. A couple of calls were made and we headed up towards there, an hour away from where we were.

It took us a long while to find the place, as it was in the countryside, we had an appointment at 6pm and the lady was very nice and understanding with us. She asked us how old she was and brought a towel to wrap her up, she gently grabbed her and made a nice little nest for her with the towels, later she left us alone for us to say good-bye to her. She closed the door and we broke in tears again, as we stroke her we apologized for not being able to help her, we told her we love her so much, that she was a brilliant sweet piggie and that she should take care of herself up there.

We left her in that room and the lady explained to us that she will be cremated on monday and they will take her ashes to the vet so we can pick them up over there, as is much closer for us.

And that's how it happened.

Thanks for all your kind wishes and interest.

Malilla

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Dear Aurora, I wish I could have helped you more.
If there is anything I can do for you, don´t hesitate to give me a call.

I embrace you. I feel so sorry for your loss.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:06 pm

I'm so sorry Aurora.

It's frustrating because sometimes it's so hard to know what to do with these ailing pigs and so hard to save them. You did the right thing. You wanted to save her and getting her to the vet was the only way. You couldn't know ahead of time that she wouldn't make it. Most of us have been down this road, one way or another.

I'll be thinking about you and Chippy-Chippy. We had our Elle cremated also and I'll pick up her ashes next week.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:12 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss. I am sure Chippy Chippy knows that you tried your best. I will keep you and Chippy Chippy in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

Katrina
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:18 pm

I'm so sorry, PA. She knew how much you loved her and wanted to help her feel better. I'll be keeping Chippy-Chippy and your family in my thoughts.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Oh, Princess Aurora, I'm so very sorry you lost her. Sometimes they seem so fragile. You and Martijn gave her a wonderful home and so much love.

76 posts