Guinea Pig Market - formerly Jens Custom Crafts

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:59 pm

Okay! I'm turn my frown upside down. I'm really excited to add your creation to my fur family!

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:50 pm

I just double checked on the measurements to see exactly how much fabric was needed for a hut and it's actually between a 1/2 yard and 3/4 of a yard.
I just bought 1/2 yard of fabric for the inside and outside earlier today and it hasn't been prewashed/shrunk yet. :(

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:01 am

It was really close, but a lot of times they cut it larger. If it ends up being too small I will reimburse you. I'm really sorry about that.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:14 am

It's 18" which is what I asked for based on your response. What is really needed? There is a big difference between 1/2 yard and 3/4 yard. If it's closer to 3/4 yard then I need to buy more fabric since I am interested in the product not reimbursement. Let me know, please. Thanks.

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:23 am

18" is exactly what I need as long as the width is 37" as well. I said between the measurements because some stores cut it differently. I would rather there be a little extra than not enough. Also sometimes there is writing printed on one side of the fabric and I wouldn't want that to show. I know when I order from joann.com a yard is smaller than a yard from fabric.com

I just physically cut everything out of a half yard from joann to make perfectly sure it would work, and it was exactly enough.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:11 am

Okay, I did get mine at JoAnn's so I got no "extras". ;) The fabric is 18" x 44". The fleece was a remnant and is 20" x 60".

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:06 pm

It should be just fine them. I'm sorry again for the confusion. I'll be sure not to answer any important questions after 1am from now on!

Nomes

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 am

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! I am so excited about the food fabrics on that link (especially in the farmer's market section)!! I need to have my fiance look them over to see which ones he likes and then I'm placing an order.

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:33 am

Yeah those were totally cute, I thought you might like those!

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:52 am

I can't wait to get my huts! :o) I'm so anxious! :o)

Feylin

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:38 pm

I think I fixed the stability problem with the old 2 door huts! Mine are washed so many times they are actually faded. I really think washer abuse is more their problem, not a structural flaw. All my fabric pig stuff eventually looses it's "body".

I'm folding a pad in half and stuffing it inside the hut. The little lip on the bottom actually helps to hold it in. The hut sides kind of lean on the pad and stay upright enough not to colapse! I'm feeling kind of clever about this. ha.

Something to think about for when the fancy new huts become old washed out huts. Next paycheck, I really need to order more huts.

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:00 pm

That sounds like a great idea. Back when I made your huts I was also using a thinner foam 1/4" now I use 1/2" and that's made a BIG difference.

I'm also working on a prototype pad that will fit inside the huts with several layers for absorption. That way just the pad could be taken out and washed rather than the whole hut. I hope to have them added to my website soon.