Excessive weight gain

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm

I think the elongated roots page mentions the chin sling and overplaning the teeth.

Kallie

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:16 am

It did Lynx. I printed off copies for both myself and Timmy's vet. I'll be doing quite a bit of research ahead of time and hopefully will be fully prepared for when any intervention is needed. For now, my time is consumed with getting him over this hump and back to good health.

Timmy was in very good spirits last night. We hand fed him before bedtime and he was acting like his goofy little self. I'm going to try taking photos of him today so I can keep track of his progress. He gained another 7 grams yesterday, so hopefully he'll have another good day today.

Kallie

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Some photos taken today of Timmy's hole. I think it's starting to look fairly good.

I love how his little curls show up on the next photo making it kind of look like he's wearing a wig.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm glad you are seeing improvement! Do you have any larger pics? You can sometimes crop larger pics so it looks like you have a closeup.

Keep on getting better, Timmy!

Lovemypig

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Wow, that looks much better. I can't believe how quickly his "hole" is healing.

Kallie

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks! Our eventual goal is to get Timmy looking like this again..

And Lovemypig, this one is just for you.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Awww. Timmy! :)

Get well soon, little guy. I'm pulling for you.

Kallie

Post   » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Just a bit of an update on Timmy. Unfortunately he is sliding backwards as of last night and today on how he’s feeling. He is still on the Metacam, Tramadol, Baytril and Cisipride and it doesn’t seem to be helping him much. We’re still hand feeding and watering him daily. We’ve been so far able to keep his weight fairly stable with the hand feeding, but unfortunately he’s still not pooping much despite getting the Cisipride 3 times daily and has lost a lot of his energy today. Basically he just lays around his cage. He has an appointment tomorrow after work, so hopefully Dr. Munn can figure out what is going wrong. I’ll be getting her to check his molars for sure.

He eats full salads, but only the very soft things and the leafy parts only of his hay. He still can’t seem to manage to bite into anything either. He’s also fighting us on everything now, from giving him his meds and hand feeding which he used to love. We have to pin him down to anything for him now. Flushing his hole has become so stressful on him that he literally screams and this after allowing the pain meds to start working for an hour before.

Any idea what to ask his vet or on what we can do to make him less afraid and painful?

Lovemypig

Post   » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Shoot, I hate reading that. I know that my vet prescribed valium for the poor seizing mite-riddled pig that I had picked up for AllCreatures. Would valium be a good recommendation for Timmy?

I'm so sorry. I hope he has a good night.

Kallie

Post   » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Lovemypig, I really don't know. He's on 2 pain meds right now and is going on day 8 of the Tramadol which is supposed to be quite a strong pain killer. I just finished hand feeding him and he seems a bit gassy so I've given him some Oval in hopes it helps.

I'll suggest the Valuim to his vet tomorrow night. Maybe a switch in pain meds might be in order. I've also noticed tonight that quite a bit of the skin around the hole is turning black or very dark purple in colour. I don't know if the skin is dying or if it's just bruising from the surgery and the twice daily flushings.

All I know right now is that he sure isn't the same pig he was a day or two ago and I'm very concerned about him. Lately he's wanted to snuggle on people a lot, but last night , and especially tonight, all he wants to do is sleep in his pigloo. He really doesn't want much to do with people or his girly cage mates.

Lovemypig

Post   » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Oh shoot. I should have read back over his meds. I'm sure what he's on now is better than the valium.

I don't know about the outer edges of the wound turning dark. It makes me think that the circulation isn't getting to it. Not showing interest in his girls - very worrisome. Poor boy. I wish I could think of something to help. I know when Quilt was probably in alot of discomfort, I worried about him staying warm enough. I'm sure you've got Timmy all snuggly for the night, but just wanted to throw that out.

I'll be thinking about y'all tonight. I hope he has a peaceful night.

Lovemypig

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:38 am

How's Timmy this morning?