Excessive weight gain

Lovemypig

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:37 am

My memory is hazy from when Quilt was so sick, but I do remember my vet saying something about the Metacam and fecal output. She put him on something (begins with an "r") to help move things along.

Great news about Timmy! I'm so happy to hear he's doing better.

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm so glad Timmy is doing better and I hope he is on the road to recovery with no more obstacles!

Re the medications - Sulfatrim is another name for Bactrim, and Reglan was probably what was used to keep his gut moving.

Kallie

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Ahh thanks Vipergurl. Bactrim I do know. Would Cisapride do the same thing as Reglan? If not, I'll ask his vet for some on Monday when she opens again.

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:09 pm

I don't remember whether cisapride is the same as Reglan or not. I hate it when meds have multiple names!

Cisapride, Metaclompromide, and Reglan are motility drugs that come to mind right now, and either cisapride or metaclompromide is the same thing as reglan, but I can't remember which one. I hope that made sense.

Both drugs have the same function, to my understanding. The difference is, they work on different areas of the GI tract. Cisapride will work just fine to keep his gut moving, provided he doesnt have any issues such as blockage.

On that note - if he develops any signs of blocking (no poops at all even though he's eating, obvious pain/discomfort) stop all motility drugs and have your vet take an x-ray for more info.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:24 pm

Reglan is the same as metoclopramide.

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks Camende. I couldn't remember whether it was Cisapride or Metaclompromide.

Kallie

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Great, thanks for the info. I will ask Timmy's vet for some Reglan Monday morning when she opens. Do I also continue with the Cisapride at the same time as Reglan, or is it better to stop the Cisapride first? He's been having a lot of gas issues since the first surgery, which is why he was put on it.

I worry about the amount of meds he's on, at what point do I have to think that maybe we're overloading his system and maybe the meds are doing more harm then good? I know I can't stop the pain meds and Bactrim for at least another 3-4 weeks.

Right now he's on Enapril for his enlarged heart, Metacam, Tramadol, Cisapride, Oval, Bactrim, Hibitaine ointment and Vit C. He's also being flushed and hand fed 2 times daily along with his soft salads and unlimited leafy hay.

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:11 pm

I am not an expert, so check with your vet first, but I'm almost positive i read on here in a thread a while back that someone had their pig on both motility drugs. Since they work on different parts of the GI system, I would think they'd be just fine being used together.

Since Timmy is already on a big load of meds, I would make sure he really needs both motility drugs before putting him on it. I don't think it would hurt anything, but the poor little guy already has so much of a cocktail to swallow.

Also, without reading back, is he on probiotics? That could also help his gut since he's on Bactrim. I know it's one of the lighter antibiotics and doesnt usually cause problems like some of the bigger ones, but probiotics never hurt.

ETA: massage usually can help gassy pigs (and rabbits, for the record). If you have a heating pad, you can set it on low, wrapped in a towel. Have the heating pad on your lap and Timmy on the pad, and gently rub/massage his sides and tummy to help him pass the gas bubbles. Only do this if he is comfortable with it, as some pigs dont like it. If the heating pad vibrates, he may like that better.

Several members have tried this with success on their pigs, and it helped me with one of my rabbits.

Kallie

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Viper, I'll ask for sure. Yes, he also gets a 1/4 capsule of Acidophilus twice daily, 2 hours after each dose of AB.

Timmy is very spoiled, he's always received nightly body massages before bedtime. In fact all my animals do, including my cats. I took a pet massage therapy course a couple years back and have been using it ever since. I will try the heat though. I don't have a heating pad, so will use a fairly flat hot water rubber bag (sorry can't remember what they are actually called) instead.

All I can say is thankfully Timmy is awesome and when he's feeling good he will take his meds one syringe after another without any problem. Same with the hand feeding, if he's feeling good, he'll sit there and let you do what you need without complaining. On bad days, like us, he doesn't want things shoved in his face and will resist everything making the process ten times harder.

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Aww, Timmy is VERY spoiled! :) I love it when people are so devoted to their pets.

Hopefully the hot water bottle will help give him some relief. Sweet little guy deserves a break, as well-behaved and handsome as he is!

Kallie

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:05 am

Viper, Timmy thanks you for the nice compliments and support.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:06 am

Kallie, your devotion to him and the work you're putting into his care are just awesome. Kudos to you.