Cozy Sack question

WheeksandSqueeks

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:03 pm

What do you use in cozy sacks to keep them open? I made my own with my mom this weekend and the pigs are scared at them, look at them like they don't belong there, and would rather lay on type of them then inside them. I think it's because the opening isn't a perfect circle and is kind of floppy. Any help?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:05 pm

Did you fold the opening back to form a kind of cuff? That is what works on Weaver's sacks.

WheeksandSqueeks

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:08 pm

Bugs Mom- Yes, and I put in two layers of batting too! But they romp around on them and then they get squished closed. I don't know if my pigs understand they can go in them! I tried a test run out with them and Elise crawled right in it and went to sleep. Now, she sleeps ON it.

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:10 pm

I have Weaver Saks and my pigs do not often go inside. They like to lay on top. I am done fighting it and just bought cups and pads from her instead. :)

natrat65

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:11 pm

I too have been making my own. I fold them open and some of my piggies go in and some plop themselves down on top of the saks.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:13 pm

We've had mixed results with the sacks. Our pigs haven't been interested. Most of the foster pigs we've had have enjoyed them and get the whole "going inside" concept. My husband discovered recently that if he put a folded cloth diaper inside the sack it stays open more and the foster pig likes it better.

WheeksandSqueeks

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:14 pm

Do you think a hanger stiched inside would be too risky? I think what the problem is, is that they don't understand "Hey, there's an opening." Or they can't see the back end so they think it's a black lagoon. They're very upset with me for taking out their fleece blanket and putting in these "sacks." Geez, if I knew they would be happy with just a couple scraps of fleece I wouldn't have done this. LOL.

ETA: Brimstone, this is why I think if they were open more, they would go in them.

Feylin

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:16 pm

Mine like to sleep on top of the sacks with the cuff as a pillow. The cuff is very important! They don't lay on uncuffed sacks.

natrat65

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:19 pm

I would be afraid to put a hanger inside~ never know if they chew enough they might get to it. Plus it would rust when you wash the sak.

tia2370

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Ginny didn't figure out how to use her sleeping bag until I stuck her inside it. Then it dawned on her that it's a comfy place to hang out.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:28 pm

I don't think a wire coat hanger is a good idea. Eventually it would poke through the fabric of the sack. Try the cloth diaper or folded up small towel inside first. It sometimes takes the pigs a while to figure out they can go inside and it's cozy.

Oh, and I never see our current foster pig inside her sack or in her cozy cup. I just see the evidence that she's been there. I think she must hang out there at night when we're sleeping. Or when I take her into the SPCA to show her off in the hopes of getting her adopted she spends almost all day in her sack. But in her travel cage it's the only place to hide.

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Betcha they would figure it out quick if there were a carrot inside. ;)