Cozy Sack question

WheeksandSqueeks

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Betcha they would figure it out quick if there were a carrot inside. ;)
Ah hahaha, they are too smart for that. Tried it. They snatch and run.

Brenda B

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:47 pm

HA! I forgot that some pigs do that. One of mine does. The other two are just too lazy to ever run when there are treats to be had.

Nata

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Maybe try a light colored cloth inside the sack. So it wouldn't look like a dark hole.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:51 am

Some of the sacks are made too narrow and/or too small for the pigs to turn around. Windespirit makes some that stay open as does Cozies4Cavies.

Katrina16

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:49 am

The one that I bought has a plastic strip in it to keep the gap open. Here is the website http://www.cosycavies.co.uk/snuggle-sacs/

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:06 am

Mine tend to get more of the idea, if I "chase" them into while holding it open. Or put them in it when I pick them up. (Head side up of course :) )

However some pigs just seem to like using it as a mattress more than their cozies, even after they figure out its a good hiding spot. Go figure.

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:09 pm

I use a safety/diaper pin on the top of the opening, pinned to the grids on the side of the cage. This keeps them open.

MuffinFace

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Actually, WindeSpirit uses a length of bendy wire inside the cuff of her saks (at least the ones I have) to prop them open. The trick is getting the wire to not bunch up inside the cuff after repeated washings. Mine did, and now they don't stay open anymore. :( But it was SO HANDY while it lasted!

(Long story short, I think if you got something rust-proof and rounded the edges by bending them around, it would be perfectly safe.)

somechick

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:33 pm

What about putting a pipecleaner that you'd get at a craft store inside instead of a hanger?

amysanimals

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:24 pm

I have found that my boys refuse to sleep in the average sized cozy sacks. I make them new cozy's whenever I buy new fleece or carpeting and out of all the sacks I have made, they only sleep in the extra large sacks that are about the width of a pillowcase, but not very deep.

I think the reason they enjoy this particular type is because it is very open inside, easy to move, turn, pancake in and get out of. My boys hate "tight" spaces so these are just perfect for them. To keep mine open, I do a top folding stitch and then fold the fabric once by hand as well. If you need an example, just let me know.

natrat65

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 pm

amysanimals~ would love to see pictures of your cozy sacks that you made.

amysanimals

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Here are the most recent additions. As you can see, they are about the size of 1 grid, so 14 inches wide and deep. (Just a side note, the boys tonight touch the little side decorations, they really dont chew on anything besides KM's hay).

Here is a size comparison of the normal to the large: