Meet Quincy and his lump

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:34 pm

Their incisions do look just alike!

I hope all works out in his favor. Poor little guy. Looks like he would be in pain.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:45 pm

They do look painful. Watch out or I'll post my row of staples from my C-section. Although I can state with authority that properly placed staples can hardly be felt (unless they snag on those stupid panties they give you). So just don't put mesh panties on him.

I hope that all works out well, and that the tumor is benign!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:44 pm

Don't ya love those mesh panties!? When I had my second C-section, the hospital was trying to save money by only giving each maternity patient 3 pairs of the mesh jobbers. Well, with a C-section you are there for a few days and I needed more mesh things. To save money, the nurses washed them in the sink and put them on the radiator to dry!! REAL nice when guests came! I finally said that it was unsanitary to do such a thing in the hospital and that I would pay for 3 more pair! They released me instead!

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:27 am

Very best of luck, I hope he does ok. Did they send you home with pain meds>?

I think he is a broken lilac/orange.

briana d

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:01 pm

I got the pathology report back for Quincy. Just like Sal, the lump was Mammary Tubular Adenocarcinoma. The report for the margins hasn't come in yet though.

I was wondering if someone (Mel?) can better explain what some of this means. The description area of the report seems a lot different from Sal's and I want to make sure I understand it all.

I would ask Murray these questions but he was busy with patients. He doesn't plan on talking to me again till the margin report comes in and that'll be a couple of days. Below is mostly what I don't understand. Anything else that anyone can explain is welcomed.

I don't understand the bulk of the description area. What does this mean?

"It consist of tubular structures, some of which are cystically dilated with some papillary fronds also observed. Lining the epithelial cells exhibit mild anisocytosis and anisokaryosis with piling observed. Occasion extension below the basement membrane is present. Narrow bands of fibrostroma bisect throughout the mass and the mitotic rate is approximately 1/hpf."

Also, what does "exhibiting low-grade morphologic malignant characteristics." mean?

Histopath Report

Source/History: Adult male guinea pig, obtained as a rescue animal. Owner noted mass when obtained, uncertain duration. Mass from right mammary gland. Received 2cm skin-covered specimen with subcutaneous mass.

Description:
Within the subcutis of this skin-covered specimen is a well-differentiated but unencapsulated, variable cystic mass. It consist of tubular structures, some of which are cystically dilated with some papillary fronds also observed.

Lining the epithelial cells exhibit mild anisocytosis and anisokaryosis with piling observed. Occasion extension below the basement membrane is present. Narrow bands of fibrostroma bisect throughout the mass and the mitotic rate is approximately 1/hpf.

In the initially examined section, there is a surrounding margin of normal tissue present at natural borders of approximately 0.4cm.

Microscopic Findings: Mammary tubular Adenocarcinoma, well differentiated, low grade.

Prognosis: Fair to possibly long term - guarded.

Comments - Mammary neoplasm's can occur in both male and female guinea pigs. The majority of mammary tumors in guinea pigs are consistent with benign fibroadenomas. Approximately 30% are Adenocarcinoma, as in this case.

They generally behave as local invasive tumors with rare metastasis reported. This mass was well differentiated, exhibiting low-grade morphologic malignant characteristics. Completer remove prior to metastasis may prove curative.

In my initial section there did appear to be a surround margin on normal tissue present; however, additional section have been ordered and will be evaluated for thoroughness. A final report with comments regarding margins will follow.

Borders: - See comments.

**This is a preliminary report, the final report will follow**

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:10 pm

Thanks for posting the info. Hopefully after the final report shows up someone can enlighten us.

melcvt00

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:19 pm

From what I could get from it, it was something that was cystic that was beginning to turn cancerous (the low numbers of mitotic figures). Looks like it was caught just in time, and he should do well.

Just don't quote me on this.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:57 pm

Aiee, does that happen a lot? (Cysts turning cancerous, that is.) Doom has a lump in the baggy skin on his throat. I took him to his vet when I noticed it, and she biopsied it. She said it was a cyst but some of the cells looked abnormal, and wanted to remove it. By the time his surgery appointment came around, I was scared to death of putting him under (even though he survived his neutering just fine, except for getting an inflamed pad of fat and having to go back to have that removed) and his lump was getting smaller. It started out about the size of an olive, and now it's more like a large blueberry. It doesn't hurt him, but he gets annoyed when I start feeling it. Should I take him in for surgery somewhere up here?

(Part of the reason I got spooked was that the normal vet he sees doesn't have any way to do pre-op bloodwork. The place I took one of my hamsters to, they were going to do bloodwork on her, but they couldn't get blood out of her. She probably got some out of them, though.)

Hmm, I should probably have started a new topic?

briana d

Post   » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:44 pm

I heard from the vet today and Quincy's margins came back clean!

I'll get a copy of the report Monday and put it up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:17 pm

Great! That is good news. Hope he lives a long and happy life.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:16 pm

Yay!