Considering a piggy for a pet

nonamian_girl

Post   » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:04 pm

The pig I had before I got my current pigs lived to be 6 years old even though he had very inadequate care. I found this website after his passing, and my current pigs have top notch care as a result. They are currently 4 and 3.5 years old, and the only medical issue that has come up for me is maloclussion for one of them. Diagnosis and treatment cost me around $700 altogether, but the problem has not reocurred since September 2008.

Having said that, in total over their lifetime I've spent over $2600 on them, about 1/3 of that being on vet bills. This is also because they are very spoiled and I've ordered a lot of unneccessary stuff for them online, etc.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:05 pm

Pigs can develop problems, just like some people can develop problems. But rshevin is right; no one goes onto the medical boards to post, "my guinea pig is A-OK!"

willowbeads

Post   » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks to all of you for your great advice. I've started purchasing materials for the cage and some accessories. I just wish my son would hurry and earn his stickers so we can set it up! :)

When I'm ready to order my hay and pellets (probably from KMSHayloft) what type of container should I store them in? If I get, say, 9 lbs of timothy hay, is it better to leave it in the bag or put it in an open storage container? Same for the pellets? Will the pellets stay fresh for a long time?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I keep our piggies healthy!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:40 pm

KM packs her hay in a plastic bag, and then in a cardboard box. You'll want to take the hay out of the plastic bag, so it can breath and not get moldy, but you can store it in the cardboard box that it is shipped in.

(The easiest way to unpack it: open the top, peel off the tape holding the bag shut. Then seal the box up, flip it over and open it from the bottom. Then pull the bag so the hay stays in the box. Hay has a way of expanding once you've unpacked it.)

Pellets can be stored in any airtight container. You should keep it in an opaque bag or container because light can damage vitamin C. Pellets are good for up to a year, I believe.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:41 pm

KM guarantees her pellets for 180 days.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:17 pm

Be sure to store the pellets in a dark, dry, cool place to maximize life of the vitamin C.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:00 am

Bugs Mom, thanks for the correction on the shelf-life of pellets.