Excessive weight gain

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Very encouraging. I hope the antibiotics take care of the lump too.

Lovemypig

Post   » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks for the update. I wish that new lump would go away on its own. Scritches to sweet Timmy.

LainLockey

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:57 am

I'm so glad that Timmy's third surgery went well today. It's unfortunate though that another lump was found but I know that he is receiving the best of care from Dr Munn.

He's a tough little guy and I'm sure he's well on his way to recovery! Spoil him extra rotten as I am sure you already are!! My thoughts are with you!!

Vipergurl88

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:47 am

That's overall great news about Timmy! Don't let the new lump discourage you, just keep an eye on it and hopefully it will go away on its own. hugs to you and kisses to little Timmy.

Kallie

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:40 am

Lain, you’ve met Timmy and know how spoiled he is. He’s been living even more the lap of luxury since early January and seems to enjoy all the extra pampering and special attention he’s been getting. I think he misses eating with his girls though, so if he keeps doing good I think I’ll let him share some meals with them as long as he continues to gain weight.

He lost more weight the day of his surgery but has since gained it back. He’s nowhere near his normal weight of 1530 grams, but he’s slowly getting there. He’s sitting at 1186 grams right now which isn’t too bad considering what he’s been through. We’ll continue with hand feeding at least until I get him over the 1300 mark. Until then, the pampering continues.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Aww, glad to hear Timmy's still doing well.

Kallie

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:01 pm

After checking Timmy tonight we discovered the hole was filled with white pus, so it's back to twice daily flushing again. This is so frustrating. I haven't noticed any change in the size or shape of the new lump yet, which is good.

AliceMcmallis stopped by for a visit today and agrees he looks much better then even last week, but he still has a long recovery. A lot of the bruising is gone where the pocket has healed, but remains on the part where we found the new pus.

His energy level is a day by day thing it seems. Today he's quite calm and sleepy, yesterday full of energy and running around. He's also been whining quite a bit the last couple days even though he's still on both Tramadol and Metacam. I know a lot of the whining outside of the cage is when he gets upset if he can't see me, but he's also been whining while in the cage.

Would another switch in AB's be worth a try or should I just stick with the Bactrim for a few more days to see if we can get the pus back under control with starting up with the flushings again?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:51 pm

I guess I'd let your vet guide you on this. He/she may be able to see some improvement. Bactrim is well tolerated which certainly helps.

Kallie

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:07 pm

This is what Timmy's neck looks like tonight after flushing and 2 days after his 3rd surgery. It's hard to get good photos of it. It's nice seeing some pink skin again.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Crap. Two steps forward, one step back. You must be exhausted. Just keep reminding yourself that you (and he) are making progress.

Without reading back, has chloramphenicol been considered and/or used? It penetrates everything -- bone, pus, everything. It is, however, not particularly well tolerated.

I will say that I give you all the credit in the world for doing what you're doing. We had one with a tooth root abscess that never cleared. The vet(s) working with him wanted to try to find a way to go in from the outside, so that it could be cleansed, flushed, and heal from the inside out. They couldn't think of a way to do it -- or may have been unwilling to do what your vet has done.

Just remember that this is the very best way to give Timmy the very best chance at a full recovery.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:23 pm

He is indeed looking much better.

Kallie

Post   » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Talishan, so far only Baytril and Bactrim have been tried. When I contact his vet Monday morning to give her an update I will mention your suggestion about Chloramphenicol and see what she says. Timmy's problem is he tends to react to most medications we've tried him on during previous mouth/teeth issues and neutering back in 2006 when we first adopted him.

It does seem like the 2 steps forward and 1 back, which makes it so frustrating to deal with. I am beyond exhausted at this point. More emotionally then anything since he is a constant worry and I tend not to sleep more then a couple hours a night because I'm too busy getting up to check on him. My worse time is when I'm at work and worrying about him with no one at home to call for an update. It's amazing how our mind tends to wander to the worse possible things when you're exhausted.

He's started to lick (kiss) me again, so that's a reminder that he is slowly getting better and his way of telling me I'm doing the right thing for him and he's still mostly happy, though I'm sure still somewhat uncomfortable.