Possible foot spurs?

Bibliophile

Post   » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:54 pm

One of our piggies, Crystal, is approximately 4 months old. I was trying to clip her nails tonight, and noticed that it looks like she is developing spurs on one of her front feet. She also seemed to protest the nail-clipping a lot more than she did last time. We've only had her for 2 months, so this is only the second nail-clipping. She squeaked some and squirmed so much that I only did the one foot tonight - will try some more tomorrow.

Do spurs hurt them? How should I treat it? I read that you can clip them, but I am afraid to - she won't hold still, and I'm afraid of clipping her foot accidentally. Is there something else I can do, or should I have a vet do it?

I will try to post a picture of her foot, in case it is something else. I have read about bumblefoot, and I was afraid of that, but it doesn't look like the pictures I saw of bumblefoot.

Also, is it normal for the pads of their feet and nails to look so dry?

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:12 pm

It does look like spurs; I just carefully trim them making sure that I don't cut the foot pad. I usually use a pair of (human) nail clippers and sometimes the cat nail clippers.

For the dry feet you might want to try some of Gorgeous Guineas Perfect Paws Ointment

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 pm

(picture you were trying to post)

And darn! I post too slow! Yes, those do look like spurs. They do look like dry toes. I didn't know there was ointment you could put on them!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Great pic! Let me know if you'd like it permanently added to this thread for future reference.

If they grow longer, you would trim slightly. gl/feet.html

You would watch for tearing, tenderness, inflamation, none of which may occur but would indicate a problem.

Bibliophile

Post   » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:25 am

Thank you for responding, everyone! I will look for that ointment, and I will keep an eye on the spurs. It doesn't look to me like they are even long enough to trim.

Yes, it's fine with me if you post the picture for me. I couldn't figure out what to do.

Bibliophile

Post   » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 am

I ordered the foot ointment, but it is coming from the UK, and I'm in the US. They said it will take at least 5-7 days to arrive. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make Crystal more comfortable? I have had severely dry skin before, and it hurts! I don't want her to suffer.

Bibliophile

Post   » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 am

Also, and I'm sorry if I'm posting too many times, but could the bedding be causing the dry feet? We use aspen, but the store recently changed the brand they carry. The new kind seems pretty rough, with larger shavings, and I wonder if that could be bothering their feet. I am going after work today to try to find a better kind, or we might switch to CareFresh.

They don't seem to be running around as much inside the cage (they still do some inside the cage, and they do when we give them floor time) since we got the new bedding, so I think it must not be very comfortable.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:56 am

I am not sure if the bedding makes a difference. I am curious what others say.

I have had a couple piggies with spurs in the past. But, since switching to mostly fleece, I have not seen any.

Bibliophile

Post   » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 pm

I read on the feet info page that the bedding doesn't cause the spurs, but I was wondering if it was causing the dry feet.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:30 pm

I would thinly apply preparation H. It is soothing and moisturizing.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:29 am

The shavings could be drying to the feet. One thing that I found that did not work for dry feet was Vitamin E oil.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1