DMSO with Fluocin with Baytril topical for Bumblefoot?

Sfox

Post   » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:04 pm

hi my guinea pig has a formation resembling bumblefoot but in the radius/ulna area.
Is very stange because it bleeds a lot and i'm not able to let it drain because any time i tried to do so my litle pig bleeds a lot.
He was beter with antibiotics and antiinflamatory drugs but i think that drainage is necessary.
Have any one seen a case like this? could it be just an hematoma? i find it rather odd

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:57 pm

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what do you mean by the radius/ulna area? Do you have any pics?

Sfox

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:29 am

Sorry i don't have pictures but i will try to get them. The area is just above his hand, but usually they have the hounds in the paws, his is in the arm, that´s why i first didn't think of pododermatitis, but the aspect is similar. I will try to post some photos.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Have you had it xrayed? You might want to make sure the bone is not involved. It sounds like an unusual area to have a problem.

Pigpen

Post   » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:18 am

My senior pig, Angel, has a badly ulcerated bumblefoot. I would like to bandage, and was wondering if there are any pics of a home-made bandage? I attempted once, but the bandage came off almost immediately. He is on Baytril. Vet recommended epsom salts soak, we had been using diluted iodine. We'll probably alternate.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 pm

www.guinealynx.info/.html may give you some ideas.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:35 pm

This might be helpful as well:

Wrapping a foot (Suisan's Rosa)

It also contains a link to Pinta's excellent foot wrapping instructions.

Pigpen

Post   » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:16 pm

Thank you, Lynx and tracis. I don't have vetrap, but have been successful with gauze and bandage tape. If I get up the gumption, I may start a thread with history and pics. Thank you so much GuineaLynx!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:46 pm

The vet wrap has a little give which can help both keep it in place and prevent it from being too tight (if it is put on very carefully). My local farm supply had vetwrap very cheap. People bought it to use on themselves instead of the expensive human stuff (you can get something similar at a pharmacy for people).

Pigpen

Post   » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:11 pm

Thanks for reminding me that I may be able to find it inexpensively. I am familiar with it (I worked in an animal hospital for 5 years before staying home with the kiddos.) For the moment, husband has told me not to spend any $ at all (even groceries) so thankfully I have plenty of our current supplies for now. Thank you again for your help, and for this site!