Henry's Thread

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:26 pm

We've had the same experience regarding pellet abandonment and stones, JoePig. After we started up the Vitamin C, we noticed that Henry started to nibble at the pellets again. He and Frost both are not really excited about this batch, for some reason.

I took Henry to the vet, and after discussion, we decided we would try giving Henry half as much Actigall for a week to see if it is somehow affecting nutrient absorption. She said there just isn't a lot of documentation out there right now on Actigall and animals, especially guinea pigs. If he continues to drop, then we will do a blood panel to rule out organ problems and diabetes, though she felt like any of that is unlikely.

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:58 pm

3/10, he weighs 1 lb 8 7/8 oz. :(

He still gets around fine, eats ravenously, plays, loves, all that--but the weight is just melting off. We've been on the half-actigall regimen for a few days now, and have tried backing off of the vetprofen a bit.

No matter how much he eats, he just seems to keep losing weight.

On the plus side, he snuggled with me for at least fifteen minutes this evening, he was happy to get some good lap time.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Oh Henry, c'mon baby, put on some weight!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:07 am

Henry is having trouble eating. He has an appetite, but the chewing process is really bothering him. When I gave him his vitamin C, he swung his head around several times to work the vitamin C into a comfortable spot.

I am thinking that we are looking at some sort of dental issue or perhaps an arthritic issue. I am going to try to get him in to the vet tomorrow.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:19 am

Henry is such an incredible guy. I hope that your vet has a spot available for him.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:49 am

I just hate to see him hurting. It tears me up to see any of my boys in pain.

EllieMom

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 am

You guys and Henry have always had such a special place in each others' lives. He was there when you needed him and you've always been there when he needed you. Thinking of you all.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:16 pm

Henry is scheduled to go back tomorrow. Dr. M. wants to put him under to really look at his teeth and fix them if necessary, as well as get an x-ray. I asked if Henry was a good candidate for anesthesia, and she said that with the trouble he's having eating, the small risk would be better than letting him go further downhill.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:06 am

I wish you the best of luck Grandpa Henry :) I'll say a prayer for you sweetie!

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:57 am

Me, too.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:09 pm

We'll be thinking of you, Henry!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:10 pm

Henry and I are back from the vet. I'm not sure when it started to happen, but at some point the bottom molars stopped wearing correctly, and had curved over his tongue! Poor little guy. Dr. M. ground them down. He doesn't appear to have any stones, but the x-ray did show some arthritis developing in his spine.

Getting old is hell.