severe mites--need Dex dose quick

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:14 pm

Well, that was sucky. Bilbrey, I think you haven't been here long enough to get an idea of the whole picture.

Paisley

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:16 pm

Here is a summary of the Ivermectin Pharmacokinetics study.

* “Pharmacokinetics” is the study of the bodily absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion of drugs.

1) Ivermectin levels in blood plasma and milk of various animal species were studied.

2) Ivermectin’s effects are influenced by
a) its formulation
b) the route of administration (subcutaneous, oral, topical)
c) the species of animal it's administered to
d) the sex of the animal
e) the physiological status of the animal (lactating, etc.)

3) Antiparasitic efficacy is reflected by the blood plasma concentration levels of Ivermectin.

4) Ivermectin blood plasma levels increase with an increase in the dose administered.

5) Water-free injection formulations of Ivermectin have a longer duration of clinical efficacy.

6) In oral formulations, bioavailability of Ivermectin is greater when using a micelle* solution compared to an oral paste. * A “micelle” is a colloidal aggregate of surfactant molecules. (Micelle solutions of Ivermectin are given to horses via tubes that go up through the nose and into the stomach.)

7) There were significant differences in Ivermectin’s bioavailability and biological half-life between oral and subcutaneous administrations.

8) Ivermectin’s blood plasma concentrations were lower after oral administration so systemic bioavailability and duration of antiparasitic action was decreased.

9) Blood plasma concentration levels of Ivermectin were measurable for a longer period of time after a subcutaneous injection.

10) Food fed to animals after they received an oral administration of Ivermectin caused the Ivermectin to adsorb to the food. It is recommended that oral Ivermectin be given on an empty stomach.

11) Greatest bioavailability of Ivermectin is achieved first using subcutaneous administration, followed by oral then topical administration. However, Ivermectin residues were detected for a longer period of time after topical administration than after oral administration.

12) Ivermectin in blood plasma was 3x greater after subcutaneous administration at a dose of 0.2 mg/kg body weight than after topical
(pour-on) administration at a dose of 0.5 mg/kg body weight. However, because of its slow and continuous absorption, it is thought that Ivermectin would still be effective after topical administration.

13) Ivermectin was detected in the blood plasma of guinea pigs after a subcutaneous administration of a dose of 0.5 mg/kg body weight. (The maximum blood plasma concentration was 0.7 ng/ml, which was the smallest value of all the animal species investigated.)

14) Ivermectin is excreted into milk. However, the Ivermectin blood plasma levels of the suckling animals were very small. The indirect, oral ingestion of Ivermectin via the milk was considered negligible.

Bilbrey

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:57 pm

E: You're probably (or at least hopefully) right.

In any case, from my 'GL-novice' perspective, I'm still glad this came up, as it's been incredibly interesting so far. Thanks for breaking down that study, Paisley.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:08 pm

Wow. I think some very important things were raised here, especially since I ALWAYS dose orally:

10) Food fed to animals after they received an oral administration of Ivermectin caused the Ivermectin to adsorb to the food. It is recommended that oral Ivermectin be given on an empty stomach.

14) Ivermectin is excreted into milk. However, the Ivermectin blood plasma levels of the suckling animals were very small. The indirect, oral ingestion of Ivermectin via the milk was considered negligible.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:46 pm

And since pigs are never supposed to have empty stomachs to start with, the point is totally moot. Or mute, if Cara prefers.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:53 pm

Hey, Paisley, you did a super job on the summary. It was a pain wading through the long article and really helps to have some of this information more readily available vs. reading it through. Yes, I think we all learned something (assuming this article is accurate). I see they didn't mention that there can be necrosis (dying of the tissue) at the injection site. This is primarily due to the carrier, propylene glycol, which can cause problems for some animals.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:01 pm

Has anything new been added to this thread? The last post I am seeing is Paravati's, and it says in the forum index that Lynx was the latest poster.

Edit: Ah, there they are. Weird.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:13 pm

Lynx, if they are injections, you still need to dilute with propylene glycol?

And don't feel bad, Swannie, it has been doing that to me for 2 days now.

My vet's receptionist called, said Dr. Sperlich has my message, has been swwamped, and she'll get back to me when she gets the time. Hmmmm.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:20 pm

The injectable ivermectin is suspended in a solution containing propylene glycol and something else (I forget). You can't get away from injecting propylene glycol.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:21 pm

OK, just wondering.

Paisley

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:08 pm

Thank you, Lynx.

I didn't see anything on necrotic tissue at the injection site, either. However, the study did mention that injections can cause localized swelling in horses. (page 3)

Evangeline,
Yes, guinea pigs (and rabbits, too) are supposed to have "full" digestive systems at all times. Both species can be harmed if "fasted". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think both species can develop liver problems very quickly if "fasted" or "off-feed".

I should clarify that the effect of food on Ivermectin efficacy was studied with horses, hence the recommendation to dose on an empty stomach.
The effect of food was observed in horses. Feeding immediately after an oral administration of ivermectin resulted in the drug’s adsorption onto the food, consequently oral administration on an empty stomach is recommended.
(Page 3)

Here are some thoughts of my own:

Even though a guinea pig's stomach should *not* become empty before dosing with oral Ivermectin, would it be better to wait for a short period of time after its administration before allowing the guinea pig to eat again? By short period of time, I mean 10 - 30 minutes or so. Would the oral Ivermectin work better then?

Or should we just allow access to hay & water after oral administration of Ivermectin?

I'm not sure if we'd want to feed the guinea pigs their "one cup of vegetables a day" directly after an oral administration of Ivermectin.

What do you think?

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:06 pm

Ah, well that clears things up a bit. I was trying to work out how to make sure my pigs had as empty a stomach as possible when I dosed them next, and they are such fat little eatin' all the time porkers!