Molly fell and are onw dragging both back legs

poppypiggy

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:04 pm

I don't know exactly how Molly, 3 years old sow, managed to get out of her cage, but she did, and fell about 75 cm (the height of two cube panels). I was in the room when it happened, and saw it out of the corner of my eye. She started to move immediately, trying to hide, and cried really loud. When I lifted her up about 15 seconds later she continued to whimper when I run to the phone to call the emergency vet (its about midnight here now).

The first vet I got hold (only one on duty in that clinic) of is definitely not a piggy vet, more of a horse vet. He asked some questions, but as there was no blood he suggested to put her back in her cage to wait and see. I then called an other vet clinic, and got a horse vet there too, but I trust her more than the first one. She said the same, so I but her in a basket by herself for some time. Then I made a small enclosure for her inside the cage and put her in to see what happened. She don't whimper anymore, and moves around quite well, but she drags both her back legs flat out behind her, so there is obviously some damage to her spinal cord. She has pooped a few "beans", but I have not seen any pee yet. I have given her some water by a syringe, and she now munches on her hay.

I have talked to the vet again, and she don't think there is anything she can do for Molly now, but when I asked if I could give my baby some Prednisolon, as I happened to have some from when Poppy was ill, the vet said that could do no harm, and told me to give here half a 2,5 mg tablet (= about 1,25 mg) now, and the same in the morning. Then I can call again, and if I want she can have a look at Molly then.

Is there anything more I can do for Molly now?

Christine

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:18 pm

I have no advice but I am hoping others see this and can offer you some help.

Edit: her is another post about a guinea pig who fell and suffered spinal injury.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48781

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Max fell from five feet; he had an x-ray and was seen by two vets. He was placed in a smaller cage to limit his movement and given Metacam until his sore tissues/muscles healed.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:23 pm

I personally think you got it in time for the pred to help. It may not work immediately, but from my totally uneducated and inexperienced opinion, I think the pred will help her and she will regain motility, though it may be slowly.

Don't mix pred and Metacam, though. One or the other, but not both at one time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:42 pm

I think the prednisolone is supposed to help keep down the swelling. This would certainly be good if there was any spinal injury. You may want to restrict her movement and let her rest and heal.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Edit: regain mobility, not motility -- although it might help with that too.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:58 am

Thank you so much for your replies.

The link I will read more thoroughly in the morning, but from what I see there it seems to be important to restrict movement. Molly is in a 2 X 2 at the moment, and seems OK; at least I don't think she is in pain. But I find it difficult to restrict her movement totally, as she is a pig that easily gets startled and tries to run away from my hand (but loves to be cuddled when on my lap). I also worry that her bladder function is damaged, as I don't find any wet spots by now, but I still hope that will have changed in the morning.

I really hope I got her the Prednisolon in time, but I am not sure, as I can't say at what time it happened (I was too upset to pay attention to time), but I it might have been as much as 3 hours later that I gave her the Pred. I am a bit angry at the vet, though, that she didn't tell me to give it to her at once, as I told her I had some when I first spoke to her.

I have to get some more sleep now, and hope to find some pee in Molly's cage later in the morning.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:04 am

Poor Molly! Thinking good thoughts for her.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:25 am

Poor Molly! I hope she'll be okay!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:37 am

Oh, how scary! I'm very sorry that sweet Molly had an accident, and I hope she has a speedy and complete recovery.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks for the well wishes! I hope she will be fine, too, but at the moment I am nor sure if she will be.

I have talked to the vet again, and she said that there is not so much she can do, and the best procedure for now is to continue with the pred, and wait and see as long as Molly is not in great pain. I don't think she is, but I am still a bit worried that she hides her pain too well, and wonder if I should give her some pain reliever, even if the vet didn't think that was necessary.

I have some Trimadol at home from when I had spine injuries myself, and as I think I have seen somebody mentioning giving that to their pig, I wonder if I could give that together with the pred, or if they are contraindicative? And what will the does be if they can be taken together? Does anybody have an idea?

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:39 am

I think I would ask for pain meds anyway, just as a precaution. She may be in pain but not showing it. I am not sure about the tramadol, though. I think it is a safe med, I am not experienced enough to be able to dose it. Someone with more experience should answer that one for you. Also, be very careful when you handle her. You don't want to cause more pain or injure her more. Use a shoe box with the side cut out to get her in and out of her cage. I wish you luck! Hopefully she will recover completely.