The first vet I got hold (only one on duty in that clinic) of is definitely not a piggy vet, more of a horse vet. He asked some questions, but as there was no blood he suggested to put her back in her cage to wait and see. I then called an other vet clinic, and got a horse vet there too, but I trust her more than the first one. She said the same, so I but her in a basket by herself for some time. Then I made a small enclosure for her inside the cage and put her in to see what happened. She don't whimper anymore, and moves around quite well, but she drags both her back legs flat out behind her, so there is obviously some damage to her spinal cord. She has pooped a few "beans", but I have not seen any pee yet. I have given her some water by a syringe, and she now munches on her hay.
I have talked to the vet again, and she don't think there is anything she can do for Molly now, but when I asked if I could give my baby some Prednisolon, as I happened to have some from when Poppy was ill, the vet said that could do no harm, and told me to give here half a 2,5 mg tablet (= about 1,25 mg) now, and the same in the morning. Then I can call again, and if I want she can have a look at Molly then.
Is there anything more I can do for Molly now?
Edit: her is another post about a guinea pig who fell and suffered spinal injury.
- You can quote me
Don't mix pred and Metacam, though. One or the other, but not both at one time.
The link I will read more thoroughly in the morning, but from what I see there it seems to be important to restrict movement. Molly is in a 2 X 2 at the moment, and seems OK; at least I don't think she is in pain. But I find it difficult to restrict her movement totally, as she is a pig that easily gets startled and tries to run away from my hand (but loves to be cuddled when on my lap). I also worry that her bladder function is damaged, as I don't find any wet spots by now, but I still hope that will have changed in the morning.
I really hope I got her the Prednisolon in time, but I am not sure, as I can't say at what time it happened (I was too upset to pay attention to time), but I it might have been as much as 3 hours later that I gave her the Pred. I am a bit angry at the vet, though, that she didn't tell me to give it to her at once, as I told her I had some when I first spoke to her.
I have to get some more sleep now, and hope to find some pee in Molly's cage later in the morning.
I have talked to the vet again, and she said that there is not so much she can do, and the best procedure for now is to continue with the pred, and wait and see as long as Molly is not in great pain. I don't think she is, but I am still a bit worried that she hides her pain too well, and wonder if I should give her some pain reliever, even if the vet didn't think that was necessary.
I have some Trimadol at home from when I had spine injuries myself, and as I think I have seen somebody mentioning giving that to their pig, I wonder if I could give that together with the pred, or if they are contraindicative? And what will the does be if they can be taken together? Does anybody have an idea?
The shoebox is a good idea that I will try out. Until now I have lifted her carefully with one hand under her front and the other carefully between her back legs, and I have handled her as little as possible, but I am not sure if that could have damaged her further. I feel really bad about this, even though I know it was an accident that just happened, and I don't know what I could have done to prevent it.
On the bright side are the wet spots I have found in her cage - she seems to pee and poo just fine. She also has a healthy appetite, but I will of course weight her carefully in a few days and start hand feeding if necessary
I don't know the status of her back legs, as I have not tried to control if there are any reflexes or not - I feel she should rest as much as possible. But for how long should I let her rest before I start to exercise her? A few days, or more like weeks? I know it's sometimes crucial to start therapy early, but of course not too early. When will be the right time?
Max was moved into a smaller cage (pet store version; post-op size) to limit the area that he previously had: 2' x 4'. I feel, based on my own experiences, that a 2 x 2 grid is way too large and does not limit movement enough, if at all. Also, you might want to consider switching from the Prednisone to Metacam which is what Max was on.Molly is in a 2 X 2 at the moment
- one pig at a time.
Pippi, the most friendly and happy of my four, is very conserned about Molly, and has tried several times to get under and through the bars, even though Molly usually is particularly unfriendly to her and bites her whenever she finds an opportunity. Pippi has a big heart, I think!
I have read several of the treads Christina pointed me to, and think I will try to build a Roxy Roller for Molly to start her on recovery training in some time. Hopefully I can get in at my favourite vet on Monday morning, and discuss this with her then.
Be very careful, Pippi might not really be that concerned about Molly's welfare or she might misjudge Molly's need for help. I had a pig whose health was compromised and any pig I put with her tried to "chase her out of the herd" since she was not normal/healthy.Pippi, the most friendly and happy of my four, is very conserned about Molly, and has tried several times to get under and through the bars, even though Molly usually is particularly unfriendly to her and bites her whenever she finds an opportunity. Pippi has a big heart, I think
There needs to be no way that she can under any circumstances get underneath or over the 1 x 2 that Molly is in now particularly if Molly is not particularly friendly. (The 1 x 2 is actually the size c 'n c that I was going to suggest if you didn't have a small pet store cage; thanks Weaver!)
Tomorrow I will know more about Molly's situation. I'll keep you posted.
During the day Molly has not eaten very much, and I have therefor handfed her twice. I have also weight her, and she has not lost much weight, if any, so she must be eating some.
My consern is about what I will have to decide if her back is severely fractured. I have read many of the treads about other spine injured pigs, and all the succes stories are about pigs without serious fractures in their spines. Will it be possible for her to live a good life as a "wheel-pig"? Or should I wait and see, same what the x-ray shows?
I am so afraid the vet will just say there is nothing to be done, and that euthanasia is the best for her. When feeding her today she looked at my face a lot, like she wanted to tell me something. I can't really say if she is in pain or not, but she eagerly ate her critical care, so I don't think she is ready to leave yet. She might have tried to tell me that. How much I hate this waiting!