Molly fell and are onw dragging both back legs

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:36 am

Thank you, tiggyswift. I am concerned about her just hiding her pain, too, but the vet said something about pain being useful because it prevents Molly from injuring herself further when moving around. I can see the point, but it still worries me.

The shoebox is a good idea that I will try out. Until now I have lifted her carefully with one hand under her front and the other carefully between her back legs, and I have handled her as little as possible, but I am not sure if that could have damaged her further. I feel really bad about this, even though I know it was an accident that just happened, and I don't know what I could have done to prevent it.

On the bright side are the wet spots I have found in her cage - she seems to pee and poo just fine. She also has a healthy appetite, but I will of course weight her carefully in a few days and start hand feeding if necessary

I don't know the status of her back legs, as I have not tried to control if there are any reflexes or not - I feel she should rest as much as possible. But for how long should I let her rest before I start to exercise her? A few days, or more like weeks? I know it's sometimes crucial to start therapy early, but of course not too early. When will be the right time?

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:44 am

Molly is in a 2 X 2 at the moment
Max was moved into a smaller cage (pet store version; post-op size) to limit the area that he previously had: 2' x 4'. I feel, based on my own experiences, that a 2 x 2 grid is way too large and does not limit movement enough, if at all. Also, you might want to consider switching from the Prednisone to Metacam which is what Max was on.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:50 am

When Natasha had sprained her hock, I moved her into a 1 x 2 and attached that cage right next to the cage she lived in with her friends so she could still be with everyone. You really don't want them to have to "walk" around to get everything. Just a bed, pile of hay, food dish and water bottle all right next to one another.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:40 pm

Thank you both. I don't have a small pet store cage, but per your advice I have divided the 2 x 2, so Molly is now in at 2 x 1. I have given her water from a syringe, and she drank a lot, so I don't think she has used the water bottle much. She has also had some CC on a small plate, and a new pile of hay, so she should be ready for the night. Hopefully she will be relatively comfortable.

Pippi, the most friendly and happy of my four, is very conserned about Molly, and has tried several times to get under and through the bars, even though Molly usually is particularly unfriendly to her and bites her whenever she finds an opportunity. Pippi has a big heart, I think!

I have read several of the treads Christina pointed me to, and think I will try to build a Roxy Roller for Molly to start her on recovery training in some time. Hopefully I can get in at my favourite vet on Monday morning, and discuss this with her then.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Hoping for good luck with Molly. Pippi sounds like an exceptional piggy.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:38 am

Pippi, the most friendly and happy of my four, is very conserned about Molly, and has tried several times to get under and through the bars, even though Molly usually is particularly unfriendly to her and bites her whenever she finds an opportunity. Pippi has a big heart, I think
Be very careful, Pippi might not really be that concerned about Molly's welfare or she might misjudge Molly's need for help. I had a pig whose health was compromised and any pig I put with her tried to "chase her out of the herd" since she was not normal/healthy.

There needs to be no way that she can under any circumstances get underneath or over the 1 x 2 that Molly is in now particularly if Molly is not particularly friendly. (The 1 x 2 is actually the size c 'n c that I was going to suggest if you didn't have a small pet store cage; thanks Weaver!)

poppypiggy

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:21 pm

Thank you, both! Bugs Mom, I think Pippi is exceptional, too! Thougt I also am aware there could be other explantions to her behaviour, like you point out, GuineaPigFun, so I have taken every precaution to keep Pippi out of Molly's enclosure, unless she decides to to jump, but as she has never ever tried that before, I don't think she will do it now. She has also settled with the situation by now, so I am confident I have the situation under control.

Tomorrow I will know more about Molly's situation. I'll keep you posted.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:28 pm

I have an appointment at the vet at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning, thankfully.

During the day Molly has not eaten very much, and I have therefor handfed her twice. I have also weight her, and she has not lost much weight, if any, so she must be eating some.

My consern is about what I will have to decide if her back is severely fractured. I have read many of the treads about other spine injured pigs, and all the succes stories are about pigs without serious fractures in their spines. Will it be possible for her to live a good life as a "wheel-pig"? Or should I wait and see, same what the x-ray shows?

I am so afraid the vet will just say there is nothing to be done, and that euthanasia is the best for her. When feeding her today she looked at my face a lot, like she wanted to tell me something. I can't really say if she is in pain or not, but she eagerly ate her critical care, so I don't think she is ready to leave yet. She might have tried to tell me that. How much I hate this waiting!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:35 pm

If she's eating then she still has fight left in her. I have no direct knowledge but I do know there have been success stories of dogs and cats that do very well with "wheels" so I don't know why, with special care, a guinea pig won't.

You'll just have to see what transpires tomorrow and decide for yourself. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you both.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Might want to wait until you see the x-rays. ;) I expected to see babies and a stone last night on Pumpkin's x-rays and neither was present which was a relief.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:46 pm

Time really can make a big difference. Some pigs recover after a few days (or longer). I would look at how she is doing and how well she is eating (quality of life) and give her a chance.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks for your encouragement - it is very much appreciated! I have to wait and see what tomorrow brings, but hope for the best. And I will allways try to have Molly's best interests in mind. Her quality of life must be the most important. She is such a sweet pig and loves her chin scrithces and attention from her humans, even if she can be pretty mean to the other pigs, especially Pippi.

I am glad there was no pups and no stone on Pumkin's x-ray, GuineaPigFun.
un!