Snak Shack

rshevin

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:48 pm

I believe that wisdom is from the mouth of Kleenmamma herself! At least, mine came with instructions to that extent.

Fluffy Cotton

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:39 pm

Well thanks, that is good to know. My piggies are going to be so excited to get their nice new hay!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:37 pm

I get why the huts are bad for the most part, but ya'll keep talking about the alfalfa in it and I'm a little confused. Why is the alfalfa in it bad?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:40 pm

Because alfalfa is not the best thing for adult pigs. Timothy is better.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Ok....just making sure. I have young pigs so they are on alfalfa pellets. I'm reading about safe toys and such, and finding that a lot of stuff marketed for piggies is BAD!!!! If I do the toilet paper rolls (slit of course) what about the glue? I haven't see anything about the glue.

I noticed that Oxbow even has things on their site that aren't good for piggies. I guess I will never find a site that I don't have to weed through their products?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:19 pm

What oxbow things?

The snak shack has other bad ingredients like sawdust and honey.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Sorry sus....I was looking at so many things I think I got mixed up. So...all of the oxbow treats and supplements are good?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 pm

I haven't seen anything on the Oxbow site that I wouldn't feed as recommended. I keep my pigs' diet very, very light on treats but theirs are all healthy and balanced. If the snak shak were made from woven alfalfa only then it'd be ok for your young pigs. Since it's mostly sawdust and glue it's trash.

Do notice that Oxbow sells foods and treats for other species as well. Some of the bags can look similar if you aren't paying attention (especially Cavy Cuisine versus Cavy Performance) so always buy carefully.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:50 pm

Oxbow has made a new line of treats. I have only tried the vit c tablets and their old ones but they seem to be fine in moderation. Other pet store treats tend to be bad. Fresh veggies or a small piece of carrot or fruit are best as treats.

Their pellets and hay are quality.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Oxbow makes timothy hay woven into Lounges, hidey tunnels, and pigloos.

This has been great for my pigs. It has confirmed to me what my pigs have known all along,

" if you can't eat it, what good is it? "

When the Timothy tunnels get chewed on too much I have been cutting them up to decorate the cage. I made a little cabana hut and lounger in the corner with the scraps.