Moving to the USA with my guinea pig?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:30 pm

::sigh:: It has a lot to do with guinea pigs still being classified as rodents.

Cielo

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:55 pm

Aren't rabbits rodents? That is a silly thing, if they are in a carrier they should be allow. Maybe we can do a petition or something. Does anyone know what can be done, so they chnge their policiy?

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 pm

Is there anyway you can drive? Rent a car one way??

I have moved across the country a couple of time. In 1995 I moved from NJ to Ca and I flew. In 2004, I moved from Ca to IL and I drove. It took me 3 days but I was able to transport all the important things with me. I know JennG moved from IL to NJ and she has alot of pets. It can be done.

I know it is 3000 miles from Ca to MD. But, I would be afraid that the guinea pigs would not survive the cargo hold on a plane.

I personally do not understand why guinea pigs are not allowed on a plane if they are in a carrier. It makes no sense.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Rabbits aren't rodents.

rshevin

No, rabbits are langomorphs. They were, at one time, classified as rodents though. I don't know when it changed. There is evidence (both anatomical and genetic) that guinea pigs are best suited outside of rodentia but no official change has occurred.

Kermie831

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:16 am

Camende - hehe, when did Jenn move here?!? :)

I moved from IL to NJ with 3 humans, 25 pigs, 2 dogs, a bird, and 13 fish in an igloo cooler. It can be done :)

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:17 am

3 humans, 25 pigs, 2 dogs, a bird, and 13 fish in an igloo cooler

Wow.. that is one BIG cooler.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:20 am

Picky, picky : ) It does sound funny though.

Kermie831

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:26 am

Hmmm - that would be a lot of irked off pigs! What can I say, I ain't be good at no sentence structure. Err, or the opposite of that ;)

In my car was good friend driving, pet store cage in front seat, fish by passenger side feet. Back = 2 carriers on floor, 3 pet store cages on the seats.

DH's car = me and DH, 1 carrier on my lap, 2 carriers on floor in back, pet store cage on back seat, benedryl'ed dogs in the back.

In one trunk - over night bag for the humans plus air matresses
In the other - guinea pig food, veggies, hay, water bottles, gallons of water, dog food, bowls, crate, bird cage and accessories, and grids.

and somewhere in there was the dyson.