Molly fell and are onw dragging both back legs

poppypiggy

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Thank you, lainier! It is of great help to hear how you did with Dudley.

As I have mentioned earlier I don't think my vet has much experience with this type of injury in pigs, so the more I find out on my own, the better. I will contact her on the Meloxicam. And I will massage Molly's cute little feet every day.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:45 pm

The massaging sounds like a great idea. I hope you have success with this.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:48 pm

Wow, I'm so impressed with your creativity in helping your gal get well.

The pictures are wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing with us, and many good thoughts being sent for your girl's recovery.

maremma

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:08 am

Oh my. I misunderstood you completely! I thought you were making her the sling to be in for longer periods of time so she wouldn't be laying in the pees and poops as much.

Indeed it seems to early to be doing physical therapy on her but the massages definately seem needed right away. Do her feet feel cold to the touch as well as being swollen? The poor little darling. It might be wise to use some warm (not hot) compresses against her feet and legs while you massage them several times a day to help get the blood flowing better for her.

Maybe it would also be a good idea to put the sling down so her feet are touching the ground and let her sit for longer periods of time so her legs aren't always sticking out behind her cutting off circulation?

Does she seem to be getting depressed that she is eating less? I know this may sound stupid but can you play a radio quietly for her when you can't be with her? For some reason my pigs enjoy listening to the oldies station and I have one that even acknowledges his name being sang and comes out looking for who is calling him. LOL (His name is James Dean) Maybe it will help cheer up your little one too?

I also have pigs that enjoy watching the TV. Can she see a TV from where she is at? Maybe you will be lucky and she will like watching TV then you can let her watch TV while she sits in her sling for a while. (with hay to munch on at the same time of course)

I well imagine her laying with her legs behind her can't be good for her for extended periods of time. Laying in any one position for extended periods of time seems worrisome really. I wish your vet knew more about this type of thing. As well with humans we need to be concerned with "bed sores" forming as well as her circulation problems, urine scald and infections.

If she were my girl I would be putting something under her while she is in her sling to be able to watch her pees carefully to look for any signs of infection. I know people use white towels but I found that if you can get them to pee into something clear or even directly on a tile floor, even a cup saucer in your little ones case) you can see thing a lot lot faster and easier than waiting for it to be severe enough to show on a towel.
You can ask the vet to give you a pippet that will let you suck up the pee and be able to see it very well or use a glass eye dropper if you have one.

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:52 am

Thank you for your support, all!

Maremma - thank you for all the good ideas! When I am upset I don't seem to be able to have too many thoughts in my head at the same time, as I had not thought about the possibility of letting Molly be in the sling for a longer period of time. After reading your post I have been given it a thought, and I think it is a very good idea that I will try out tonight.

Molly is doing relatively well, but she has lost another few grams of weight, so I have to increase the amount of Critical Care I give her. Until now it has been enough to give her about 15 ml in the morning – mostly to spoil her, as she loves it. From now on she will get another meal or two of CC every day. You might be right that she is getting a bit depressed, or at least is feeling lonely, as she the last few days has been crawling up to the divider to be as close as possible to the others. Yesterday she sat on her side and munched away in her hay as long as one of the others sat in the hay bin on the other side. The hay bin has very low sides, so Molly always can see if one of the others are in there, and apparently it encourages her to eat when they are. I have not noticed that my pigs like music or TV, but the radio could be worth a try (TV is in another room downstairs).

Molly’s swollen white leg is of some concern. The black one is more back to normal, and limp. The white one on the other hand is swollen and stiff, but not cold at all – if anything it is the contrary. I have asked the vet about it, but she is not alarmed, and thinks it sounds normal. Per her advice I also pinched her legs to see if there are reflexes, and fortunately there are. I will bring Molly back for control on Monday, though.

I am also keeping and eye on Molly’s urine (tanks for the tip, maremma!) – I put a little tray under her when she is in the sling, as she pees most times. So far everything seems good in that department, fortunately.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:56 am

I have no advice and you're already getting good ideas. I just want to say what a great job you're doing. Molly is one lucky little piggy. I hope things continue to go well with her.

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks, Bugs Mom! And so do I!

GL'ers are so helpful and supportive!

maremma

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Aww bless her little heart. Is it possible to give her some supervised time with one of her buddies? Perhaps just hold them near her so they can't hurt her but let them touch noses and talk for while.

My Lovebug just recently lost her beloved Cocoa. I was always scared for either one of them when the inevitable would happen as they were so strongly bonded. More so for Cocoa if Lovebug had passed first but still very afraid for her as well because I was aware of her history of severe depression from being seperated from her sisters when I first adopted them. (Darty rejected her and it was agressive biting not normal girl bickering. It was not safe to let them together)
I am very aware of how badly the depression from seperation can affect a guinea pig. Lovebug actually did this heartbreaking begging thing and would throw herself down and flatten herself on the floor under Darty's chin whimpering trying to make Dart accept her again when they were out for floor time together.

When Darty wouldn't, Lovebug stopped eating, kept crying and staring into the other girls pen. I had to "share" the neutral sister between them until I found Cocoa to adopt for Lovebug. Poor Sweetpea lived 12 hours with one sister then 12 with the other.

When we were losing Cocoa I knew Lovebug knew what was happening with Cocoa as she was extremely gentle with him and would lay outside his bed talking softly to him a lot. When he passed she shocked and confused me because she didn't seem to react at all. BUT it sank in for her pretty quickly and she became severely depressed about a week later.

It broke my heart again.This poor girl has suffered a lot of loss and rejection as well as having a bad heart at a young age (which is why I think she was suddenly rejected by Darty. She had fluid that made her "hoot" periodically, probably making Darty afraid of her) and having bladder sludge problems too.

I put a devider in her pen and put the other male that has always worshipped her from afar in the other half of her pen (he is not neutered so cannot live WITH her) At first she reacted with fear and confusion but JamesDean being the wonderful sweetheart he is quickly made her feel safe.

He went and laid down tight against the bars instead of standing wagging his behind rumbling at her to scare her like the other pigs do to her. He made these soft little noises at her and she slowly came over to him and they sniffed noses.

She has not only perked back up and began eating well again she has been popcorning again! They both lay against the pen bars in their respective binkies and talk to each other munching hay between touching each others noses. It has been a very good move for both of them.

Is there a way you can make it so she can see and touch noses the full length of the pen? I know it may sound mean to the other pigs but perhaps you could put a devider in their pen that would limit how far away from her they can wonder and let the other take "shifts with keeping her company?
For example Lovebugs pen is a 2x4 pen and I put the devider in the middle so now both are each in a 2x2 pen. Granted they are older pigs both with heart conditions and not nearly as active as younger pigs so have no problem with the new arrangement but yours can take turns. (Plus I put each out for floor time every day, which neither really cares for, for more than 20 minutes then both beg to go back in their own homes)

I also have both their box beds facing the other so they can still see each other even when one wants to get in their box instead of the binkies.

lainier

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:46 pm

See post below, had some problems.
Last edited by lainier on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lainier

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi there,
I was wondering how Molly is doing? I would not recommend keeping her in the sling other than when you are doing massage and physio or at least not for extended periods of time. It sounds as if she can move around a little bit and she should be able to do that when the need arises I think. Dudley lay in one spot for a couple of weeks and I changed his pads beneath him two or three times a day and once a night to make certain that he did not get urine scald. Occasionally he would drag himself off of the blankets and some mornings I would find that he had turned himself around to get his special droppings.
Did your vet give you more meloxicam?
Would love to hear how it's going,
I agree with Maremma, it is probably a really good idea for Molly to have as much contact with the others as possible, so she doesn't get too bored and depressed. At least so that she can hear them squeaking and eating etc.
Keep up the good work.

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Thank you for your ideas and concern, maremma and lainier! The story about your sad, sweet little Lovebug is very touching, maremma! I am so glad you found a way to make her happy again!

I am sorry I have not updated sooner, but it has been so busy. The good news is that Molly is doing sooo fine, considering the situation, I can hardly believe it!

I have had her in the sling at least twice every day, but never left her alone there, I can assure you, lainier. I have massaged her feet 10 – 15 minutes, sometimes more, in the morning and in the evening, and the swelling has gone down, thankfully. In the beginning I didn't feel it made any difference with the massaging, but after a while it certainly did.

Molly is bright eyed and active, she moves around a bit, and eats well. Just to be sure I weigh her every day, and feed her some critical care in the morning.

I have put the hay bin for the others up on the longest side of Molly’s enclosure, and there is almost always a pig there, so she gets much company, and eats accordingly. Pippi has been particularly good at cheering her up, and has been sticking her nose through the grids ever so often. Sometimes Molly comes to touch nose with her, at other times she is her angry little self and chatter her teeth at her, but Pippi is not offended.

Today I took Molly to the vet for a check up, and the vet was very pleased about the improvement. The reflexes in Molly’s left leg are very good, and when on the examination table she even put the leg under her a little bit. The reflexes in the right leg are not so good, but not worse than before, so they might still improve with time and exercise.T

The vet also palpated Molly’s back in the area of the fracture. Obviously that was still painful, as Molly started to shiver (but after a few minutes she was back to normal again), so I will continue to give her Metacam for some time still; I guess I have to go by my own gut feeling here.

In about a week we will start out very carefully with water therapy. Hopefully that will improve the recovery even more. Next check up at the vet is in another two weeks.

I will keep you posted!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm so glad to hear that Molly is doing well. I hope the progress keeps up.