Mouth and lip sores: best way to remove scabs?

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Poor baby!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:25 pm

I wonder if a thin layer of vaseline or similar might protect the skin. Very thin, of course.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:00 am

I wonder if a thin layer of vaseline or similar might protect the skin. Very thin, of course.
Good thought. I have the non-petroleum version. I wonder if it would block the healing properties of the Nolvasan/Silvadene combo; the Silvadene cream is an anti fungal/antibiotic agent. I also was wondering when I saw her again (today when I picked her up) whether to not the Nolvasan was too drying for the area around her mouth.

obmckenzie

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:27 pm

My two boys have this and they vet was worried about the possibility of URI

I was given Bedadine(spelling?) with instructions to be very careful when applying it. Tehy took a sample to test for fungal or bacterial and I still haven't heard back. On the one its really bad and threatened to block his nose at one point, the other not so much. I put some triple antibiotic on the one and his has healed quickly. I'm going to try that on the other and hope I get the same result.

To removed the scabs I usually dip a q-tip in warm water and then gently rub their noses. Both seems to enjoy it a bit and it loosens the scabs just enought that I can remove them. They boys still cry because it hurts but usually a nice peice of their favorite food helps them forget.

I've also stepped up their Vit C intake. I bought Vit C drops (the human ones whtat are only Vit C and not the pet store stuff) I calculated the math (which was the same on the site here thank goodness) and have been giving them vit C like that for a week and it seems to help. Next week they will transition back to lots of vit c heavy foods.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:37 pm

Do read this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html

There are multiple causes.

obmckenzie

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Lynx, That its a good page and I did read it. It's been linked in this little discussion quite a bit. from what I've read though the OP was asking about removing them and nobody really answered the question and since I was going through something similar I thought I'd share.

She's not the only one dealing with the problem.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks for your feedback regarding the scabs on your two boys. With Daisy, her scabs were partially removed the day of her vet visit. The vet was checking her incisors and doing a mini-prophy on them and during the process some of the scabs fell off. Her scabs were not of the degree of Angelina's and she did not exhibit the extreme reluctance to have her mouth area touched as does Angelina.

At the moment I am giving Angelina Bactrim twice a day, Metacam once a day, liquid Vitamin C once a day, and the area around her mouth is being cleaned with diluted Nolasan followed by Silvadene cream twice a day. Last night I decided that I needed to use a restraint bag in order to try not to stress her out too much when treating her. [The photo below shows Misha in the restraint bag prior to it being secured.]

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:24 pm

She looks so cute in there!

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 pm

With bite wounds I've used a q-tip dipped in saline solution to help loosen old scabs. But I don't know if that would work as well with fungal "crusties."

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:33 am

It looked like a little bit of the scabs came off today; there is deep pink in some areas. I tried to gently remove other scabs with no luck so I'll see if the Nolvasan and Silvadene soften them at all to make them easier to remove. When the vet cleaned the debris from Daisy's teeth she used diluted Nolvasan on a Q-tip under and around the roots of her upper incisors so it's possible that the area was damp for a little bit and loosened up and came off with the action of the cleaning in the mouth.

I'm thinking that the saline and also the diluted Betadine would be less drying than the Nolvasan. I have Betadine but not sure if I have any saline left.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 pm

At lunch when I came home to give Angelina her meds I noticed some black stuff on and underneath her upper incisors. I tried to get it off but it wouldn't budge (it's most likely what I've read can occur in some cases). Has anyone had experience with this and what did you do if anything to remove it?

The vet had cleaned Daisy's upper incisors but it looks a bit different (or was the start of what Angelina's is now). She used a dental pick/scaler (?) and a q-tip dipped in diluted Nolvasan to clean the debris off. I used it for a week afterward since her teeth were loose and the gums irritated from the cleaning. I'm not really sure what Angelina's is so I'll just use the q-tip dipped in diluted Nolvasan for now. She said that she would put out some Nystatin tomorrow for me to give to her orally. Unfortunately, she is going away on vacation and will not be available to see her again until March 18th.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:13 pm

You mean April 18?

No idea what the black stuff is.