Henry's Thread

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:37 am

Oh dear. I'm so sorry for you loss. He was a special guy with the best last years any pig could have asked for. You gave him that.

God speed little Henry.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:09 am

Frost isn't moping too much, but I think he does most of his hay eating and drinking when he has company. He and Henry always considered these things social activities. Jim brought Linus down to visit, and Frost was so thrilled to hear another piggy burbling, that he ran to the side of the cage and put his feet up on the cage wall to get a better look.

He let Jim hold him for almost an hour yesterday.

I really, really hope introductions with Tom and Linus go well later this week. First, though, I'm going to treat everyone for mites, because my arms are getting very itchy handling them.

We have a bottle of ivermectin that is technically still good (expiration date is May 2009) but was originally opened at least a year ago. It's not cloudy or anything. Do you suppose it's still safe to use?

Feylin

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:48 am

I just saw this thread. I'm so sorry TWP and TWP_2. Henry was a lovely old man who beat all the odds.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:12 pm

I am glad Linus is doing ok. I bet he was hoping that burbling was his Henry. That woul dbe great if he could go in with the other boys. Hugs to you all.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:14 pm

I would guess that Frost knew it wasn't Henry - Henry had a really pretty songbird voice; Linus sounds like Beaker from the Muppets. :)

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Ahhh I hope the other boys will accept Frost into their group.

When do you get Henry's info back?

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Henry had the most beautiful voice.

I really do think that Frost 'knows' what happened. He was checking on Henry fairly regularly as his breathing slowed, and when Henry died, Frost laid down in front of Henry's cuddle cup, a position he had not been in previously. He clearly knew something had changed.

I let Frost see me carefully move Henry's body, wrap it in fleece, and remove it from the cage. He watched, but he was not upset or alarmed about it like he was when you would take Henry out before.

Winnie the Pooh

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm so sorry. Frost was such a great friend and no doubt comforted him in the end (along with you). I don't normally check the medical thread because I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but I had to check on Henry.

It's amazing how much you can miss a pig you've never met, but I grew to know him through the many pictures and stories about him the past year. He was such a special guy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:04 pm

I am so, so sorry for your loss. I just saw this, and wasn't expecting such sad news. I know how long and hard you guys fought for Henry and gave him so much love and great care. My thoughts and warm thoughts are with you.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:46 pm

technically the age doesn't count for the verifiable age thread,

but you still should be congratulated on providing such a good home for this pig and inspiring him to reach for the record.

I just got done reading his original thread from 2006
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29558

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:46 pm

The other all-important Henry thread is Finding Friends for Henry, which documents our search for cagemates after Gilbert and Sully died. Had it not been for Henry, we would have given up on guinea pigs. We were so traumatized by what happened to our first two boys, but then we had Henry, who loved having friends more than anything in the whole world, and we just couldn't leave him alone again. The next thing you know, we were adding Tom, Frost, Widget, and Linus.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:04 pm

I just now saw this. I am so very sorry for you two and for Frost ... but what a wonderful three years (3 years, my Lord, it doesn't seem that long!) he had.

I think the ivermectin should be fine. I don't believe opening the bottle matters to it, and as long as it's not cloudy or discolored, it should be fine.