Henry's Thread

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks, Talishan. I think we're going to dose the little guys tonight - everyone has been scratchy, and I've been getting a rash from holding them. It's nice to know we won't have to waste so much ivermectin.

GP Estates
Supporter in '08

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:09 am

I am very sorry to hear Henry is gone. He was such an inspiration and will be missed here as well as at home. I hope the necropsy turns out to be useful.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 am

I just picked up the results from Henry's necropsy. Taken directly from the paperwork:

Dignosis:

1. Left kidney - glomerulonephritis, severe
2. Lungs: pleuritis, chronic with multifocal mineralization

Comments:

The most likely cause of death is chronic renal failure. The lesions in the left kidney are very severe, while those in the right kidney are less severe. A potential reason for the marked difference in severity of the two kidneys is that urollthlasis could be a potential cause of the unilateral chronic kidney disease.

Necropsy Findings:

This guinea pig had a body condition score of 1.5/5 with mild postmortem autolysis. External lesions included ulcerated focal lesions on the metacarpal pads and the metatarsal pads foot pads measuring 0.5 cm in diameter. The perineal area is stained with diarrhea.

In the lung, there were multifocal fibrous adhesions between the parietal and the visceral pleura. The pleura on the left and right caudal lung lobes was moderately thickened. The left cranial lung lobe was moderately firm and dark red with multifocal pinpoint dark red areas. The right cranial lung lobe was bright red with normal consistency.

The stomach contained approximately 15 mL of soft, green ingesta including a few 1-inch lengths of hay.

The right kidney was approximately 3 cm from cranial pole to caudal pole, and the left kidney was approximately 2 cm from cranial to caudal pole.

There were no gross lesions in trachea, esophagus, liver, spleen, stomach, intestines, heart, brain, urinary bladder, and reproductive tract.

Histopathologic Description:

Lungs: The pleura is moderately thickened and contain low numbers of macrophages. There are multifocal areas of dystrophic mineralization.

Left Kidney: The glomeruli are shrunken and hypocellular with occasional glomerular sclerosis. There is marked thickening of the glomerular basement membrane with accumulation of protein in the Bowman's space. There is loss of cortical tubules with occasional tubular dilation and tubular proteinosis. The interstitium contained low to moderate numbers of lymphocytes and macrophages with mild to moderate fibrosis.

Pathology Results:

There are multifocal areas of mineralization within the renal medulla.

Right kidney: There glomeruli are multifocally shrunken and hypocellular with multifocal areas of mineralization.

The intestines are moderately autolyzed.

There are no microscopic lesions in the spleen, heart, adrenals, thyroids, pancreas, and brain.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:43 am

I just read it all and while I do not understand it all, it makes me sad as all that to describe your wonderful precious Henry. I am sorry again for his loss.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:27 pm

I visited with our local vet, and she said what it comes down to is that Henry most liked died from kidney failure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:26 pm

I don't know if you'd like to add your necropsy report (and your vet's synopsis of kidney failure) to the necropsy section of the Records forum with a link back to this thread, but you are welcome to do so.

www.guinealynx.info/

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:29 pm

I'd be happy to. I also requested a copy of Gilbert's report, because we thought it was strange that we had two pigs with spots on their lungs, so I'll have that one to add, too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:54 pm

I don't remember if you've signed up for the forum. Use your same board name and email and I will activate you.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:01 pm

TWP and TWP2 I just saw this. I hesitated to post if it would still be difficult to receive condolences-I'm so incredibly sorry though. I hope it's all right to say. He was such a legend-a piggy that saw the y2k scare, of all things. What wonderful caretakers you must be.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks, GuineaPiggy. The pathologist told our local vet that they'd never done a necropsy on a guinea pig as old as Henry. I suspect it was as valuable a learning experience to them as it is to us.

(PS. I don't think there's ever really a time limit on kindness.)

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:11 pm

I just saw this thread too-don't spend much time in Medical.

My condolances to you guys, he was lucky to have you for the last few years of his life. Sleep well, Henry.

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:34 pm

One of the most important things I take from that necropsy report was that, other than his kidneys and some mild lung issues, he was in great health. Heart, liver, brain...

A ten year old pig, in great health. Yes, we lost him, and that hurts tremendously, but someone may be looking at his information someday trying to decide whether a 6 year old pig is good to adopt, or whether an eight year old pig could be a candidate for surgery.

Age should not be an automatic disqualifier for adoption, medical care, or surgery.