Signing up for pet insurance

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:31 am

I've been worried ever since we adopted our 5th pig about financial costs, so today Matt and are signing up for pet insurance with VPI.

The premium is 8.30 a month per guinea pig, with a $50 deductible (which we don't have to pay if we don't file a claim during the year).

That's just $41.50 a month to insure all our guinea pigs! That's how much we're paying on meds alone.

Meanwhile, we're getting 90% coverage on everything excluding regular maintenance (I guess nail trims and well visits), but that does mean prescriptions. With 3 of our 5 pigs on heart meds, this is invaluable.

We get up to $2,000 on a given procedure, and $7,000 total in the year.

I just really wanted to let people know there's an insurance agency out there that covers guinea pigs, and that it's affordable. I know in these hard times it can be really expensive to have pets, especially special needs pets, and this is a great option.

I know that VPI has been written about before, but I couldn't believe how much sense it made!

After we adopted Brindy I was so happy-then I sort had this number crunching moment and went-"uh oh." Now I'm more going, "Oh whew!"

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:40 am

I think it is good if you already have problematic piggies, but for the average caregiver, I think they would be better off putting away that money every month and just having a vet fund, or a charge card that is just set aside for animal health care.

I am not sure about this, but I think I also recall my vet saying something about the VPI, that you have to still pay for the procedures up front and than you get paid back after filing the paperwork to them.

I am glad though for you this is going to work out in your favor. Anyway we can save money these days and still be providing the best care to our furbabies is a great thing!

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:59 am

I think it's definitely worth crunching numbers and seeing if it makes sense-it definitely wouldn't for everyone. But with a herd of seniors it's a necessity for us. We're still going to keep up with a savings fund too, that 10% could add up!

"I am not sure about this, but I think I also recall my vet saying something about the VPI, that you have to still pay for the procedures up front and than you get paid back after filing the paperwork to them."

This actually depends on the vets discretion. I think that's the general protocol, but if you have a good relationship with your vet or if it's a payment plan, VPI has no issue with you filing a claim on something you haven't paid yet, reimbursing you, and then having you use that reimbursement to pay the vet bills.

I think the premium might differ from state to state too. I just couldn't believe it was only $8.30 a month!

edit: I think after Rifka especially I never want to be in a position to not be able to care for my pigs. With us not making much money right now this is the best option to be able to assure we can care for them financially.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 am

Are you sure they are going to cover your pigs due to their preexisting conditions?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Yep! I was on the phone for an hour with the guy.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:17 pm

I was surprised about that as well. I know when I looked into this pet insurance a few years back for my dog they were not going to cover it because it was pre-existing.

Maybe small animals is different...?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 pm

It does depend on the condition, maybe that's what you are thinking of?

I was just getting a quote, so when I sign up it might turn out that some our pigs don't actually qualify. I'll be happy to get those that do on there.

Britts15

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 pm

It is only available in the States, right?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure about that one.

Well, I called back. Heart disease isn't an enrollable condition, so that means Moisha, Sophie, and Lisbon couldn't be covered. But we could get Esme and Brindy on a plan. That would certainly give peace of mind. I really need that right now.

If they were to develop heart disease, for example, once covered they would not be unenrolled from the plan.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:20 pm

But the heart meds-would they cover them if the condition developed?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:25 pm

Yes, I asked about that. They said they would (so long as it wasn't within 14 days of enrollment).

You have to have owned the pet for 60 days, but they made an exception for Brindy since we'd been fostering her before.

There's no signing fee, but you do have to pay for two months at once, and you can be enrolled in the program for as long as you want.

I know it's probably not a good fit for everyone, but Matt and I don't have much money and after Rifka I really want this protection for our pigs. We already have our savings account for heart meds, etc. each month but I always count on Esme to be healthy. I didn't count on Brindy period! This way I can feel more secure about their veterinary care.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Now that you have pet insurance, they will always be healthy! Murphy's law and all that!

We are kicking ourselves we did not get it when we got the puppies 12 years ago. Little did we know Max was going to be the $10K dog and Puck is now trying to get up there in $$ spent too!