Signing up for pet insurance

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:50 pm

I know-and if I ever take them off of it, then that month-disaster!

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:36 pm

I don't know, I agree with Weaver, I think you would be better off putting the money you would spend on the policy into an account for the pigs. But piece of mind is worth something...

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:38 pm

This is something I am doing after losing a pig because of conditions that were beyond my control. I am trying to limit that from happening again as much as possible. Matt and I also have a savings account.

Peace of mind is worth a great deal to me right now.

The symbolism of this may be worth me to than it is you (you not being in my shoes right now, and not being me). Either way I've enrolled two of my pigs in it regardless.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:53 pm

I am sorry GP, I didn't mean to sound like I was judging you. And As I did acknowledge, Peace of mind is worth something. And if it means that much to you, then you should do it. And believe me, I know what it is like to lose a bet due to circumstances beyond ones control. It is a very painful thing to go through.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:57 pm

I think I also worded mine awkwardly-that is, not to say that you would not know what I am feeling, but you might make a different choice being you in your situation. You know? I think it came out more aggressive than I meant it.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:16 pm

GP, no one is judging you. I think it is great that you have a plan that works for you. Everyone needs some kind of a plan, and one that they are comfortable with. Truly that is what matters the most.

I personally use Care Credit and that works for me. That probably would not work for everyone either :)

I think to some degree most of us are in pretty bad situations at the moment. Even Doug and I are pinching our pennies lately. It is scary, and I do understand that. Keep your chin up and don't bet yourself up over "what-if's.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:31 pm

I enquired about insurance after Chilli's illnesses recently and this may be of interest to UK members. I'll also post this in the UK vet thread.

The plan is from Pet Plan's Exotic Direct policy.

Cost £82.20 per animal per year (£6.85 per month) from 8 weeks to 5 years old.

Covers vet fees for accident, sickness or disease per policy per year up to £2,000.

£45 excess per animal per course of treatment. Larger excess may apply to certain treatments such as x-rays, ultrasound etc up to 50% of the treatment cost. I can't remember if they do not cover consultations to vet schools etc. or cover just a percentage.

Existing treatments are not covered, those that start after the policy start are taken on a year by year basis as long as treatment hasn't lapsed for more than 60 days.

Do not cover theft, escape or mysterious disappearance.

Do not cover preventive treatments.

Do not cover any treatment relating to coming into season, breeding, pregnancy or giving birth.

Do not cover spay/neuter or euthanasia.

Do not cover any injury caused by you, your family, your other pets or any animal coming to your premises.

Do not cover more than 50% of dental treatment less the excess depending on preventive and routine care having been provided.

A more comprehensive list of exclusions is on their Current Policy Terms.

So far after discussion in a follow up call with Exotic Direct, I've decided at this time there are too many exclusions and the excess is too high for me to insure Tiggy. Chilli is too old and has too many pre exisiting conditions.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Webs,

Thank you very much for this info. I'll definitely be following this up for my three.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:50 pm

I use VPI for 4 of mine. They've been great and it helped a great deal when Elvis broke his tooth a few month's ago. They covered half of the bills, and in my case, it paid for itself. Meaning, the premiums (for this year) were paid for in what I got back from Elvis' visit. Now, anything that I get back for the rest of the year, will be money in my pocket. You definitely have to crunch numbers though. It's just not worth it for some of my guys.

I also use Care Credit and have a savings account for them that I stash money in when I can.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:53 pm

How does Care Credit work? I remember looking it up a while ago but it's been ages.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 pm

It works just like a credit card but they give you a period of time to pay off the balance before the interest kicks in. As long as you pay it off before that, it's great. After that though, the interest will kill you.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Guinea Pinny and cavyslave - good for you.
It is good that you are thinking about the healthcare costs of having multiple guinea pigs before they get sick. Especially if they all get sick at once.

I have limited myself to two for that very reason. If I had more I would definitely be thinking about health insurance
( or applying for some of that TARP money)