In a bit of a panic...

amysanimals

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Well recently I did a cage redecorating session and put a ramp in the cage. Now usually my boys dont chew on anything, so I decided to cover the ramp with some crafting foam that little kids use to cut shapes out of just like I used for my hamsters cage--who used to chew on everything but never touched the foam padding.

So I went into the piggy room to feed them their dinner salads and just about panicked when I noticed part of the foam on the ramp was chewed and eaten! This is the stuff he ate incase anyone needs a visual: Crafting Foam

So far, hes been pooping like crazy as he always does and was exceptionally loud during dinner time and was wheeking up a storm for his slice of carrot as a treat. Im just very worried about him because Im not so sure how digestible this stuff is or if it will cause some type of intestinal blockage. Ive heard of guinea pigs eating plastic bags, but never foam. I blame my own stupidity for this! Right now, hes eating his dinner with his brother and is acting better than ever but this still doesnt comfort me at all.

Is there anything I should look out for or anything I can do as a preventative for problems? Ill be monitoring him like a hawk, thats for sure. Obviously I took the foam out. I just never thought he would chew on it. I guess this is what I get for not thinking over every detail. Im so mad at myself right now.

Anyway, advice would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:59 pm

My experience with chewers goes through plastic bags, pieces of fleece, labels, even a plastic broom that Pirate thought was tasty. Needless to say that the last on the list had me up all night. They were all fine; I was not. Somehow they seem to find everything that I forget to tuck away and that only makes me more aware of how much it is my responsibility to keep them safe; little troublemakers :)

I think and hope he'll be just fine :)

Acanoffleas

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 am

I would think as long as things keep moving you're in the clear. Continue to keep an eye on him, but it sounds like he's going to be just fine.

We made the mistake, once, of putting a plastic bag on top of Mason's cage - the bag contained a copy of Bear's first x-ray. Hubs went to move the bag and found a nice hole right in the middle, and little gnaw marks on the x-ray. I was not amused. Mason thought it was hilarious. ;)

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:55 pm

How is everything?