Greens for Gassy Girls?

rshevin

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:39 pm

When Piggy isn't feeling well I pare his diet down to green leaf lettuce and cilantro, nothing else. He has a very sensitive GI system and can't have peppers at all. Well he can have small bites but has to be given simethicone or else he gets so gassy he stops pooping.

I would completely eliminate all cabbage and it's relatives. Relatives of cabbage include but are not limited to: broccoli/broccalini, brussel sprouts, bok choy, and kale.

For me it's easiest to severely reduce the diet until the system returns to normal and then slowly re-introduce foods to see what does and does not cause issues.

Marimo

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 pm

This might be a silly question but.. How do you know if your pig has gas?

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:02 pm

I would like to know also how you know if a pig has gas. I just tried parsley with mine last night and need to know how much they can have and how often.

Fourboys4now

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:56 pm

I feed parsley every 5th day because of the high calcium in it. The other days I feed cilantro. They seem to like both equally.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:39 pm

How much parsley should one pig have? I guess I'm having issues with how to know how often something can be fed.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:23 am

I don't usually feed more then 1-3 sprigs of parsley per pig. Any more then that and I start to smell them, peww! I feed in smaller amounts with more variety.

One thing I have noticed, like with us humans, if they get a certain kind of food on a daily to bi-daily basis, it doesn't seem to get them gassy like it would another. For us, it's helped to give them smaller portions and wider varieties.

Signs of gas I notice; fur is fluffed out and not moving around much. Passing gas can be heard when holding them or close to cage, and smelled! Also can notice how they are laying, if they look uncomfortable, not laying like usual, moving rear end to release air. Ever try a massaging mat? Helps them sometimes with no harm and feels good for ya both.

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:48 am

Peppers give Junie gas too... and its so hard because they are her favorite. When she finishes her sliver, she tries to bully Zabby and Pinky out of theirs, and when that isn't enough, she bites the bars.