My piggy was given metacam by an exotics vet. He told me that they tolerate higher doses. She is 924 grams(about .9 kilos). He prescribed .6cc once a day but said she could tolerate as much as 1.2. The metacam is 1.5mg/ml.
I was actually looking for threads on how long a piggy can stay on metacam safely and I found conflicting thoughts on dosages.
- Let Sleeping Pigs Lie
The Maximum Metacam Discussion
There are many members here that have had guinea pigs with arthritis or other painful issues on low doses of Metacam (meloxicam) for longer periods of time without problems.
This thread might be helpful as well, as it mentions somes dosages for long-term pain relief:
Request for Arthritis Treament Protocols
1. Pain (from the toe) or inflamation somewhere that we could not find.
2. She may be eating less due to issues with our other sow. She is being chased around more lately.
He said to do a few days of metacam since the toe was still a bit swollen (he said to imagine losing a nail at the nail bed for us) and that would encourage her to eat more if it were a pain issue.
1. Issues with Guinness that have escalated. No blood but "words" spoken and chasing out of beds and away from food.
2. Bored with hay I had, I just switched and she ate more.
3. (I hope this is not it) but an underlying condition we have yet to uncover.