Confused about metacam dose

DaCourt

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:20 pm

OK...I am an idiot. Alfredo is on .1 twice a day. Not sure what I was thinking.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks rshevin, that is EXACTLY the advice I was looking for. :)

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:27 pm

DaCourt, anyone who has anything to do with Alfredo, the "piggy love of my life", is not an idiot!

Do you know that I occasionaly visit the OCCH site just to see his photo?

rshevin

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Brenda, you can always give her more Metacam later, but you can't take it back.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:41 pm

You can see I am not the one who does the medication around here. Courtney does it all. She came down and saw what I wrote and she was like...uh, try .1 not .5. That would be 1/2 a syringe.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Ha ha, and it's a good thing I can't follow directions well because when you said "that would be 1/2 a syringe" I realized that I have been giving Sierra only .06!

Guess she did not REALLY need it because she has been ok on that low dose.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:50 pm

Ok 0.06 is a VERY standard initial dose! I'm glad you got your decimals sorted out. It's very confusing for people to read a 1cc syringe who aren't used to reading small fractions. This is why engineers insist on writing all fractions with a zero before the decimal point. There is no mistaking 0.06 from 0.6 but .06 and .6 suddenly look dangerously similar.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Well, rshevin, I was giving a very low dose and she is fine. SO, my thought is to just stop. I think her probelm is either

1. Issues with Guinness that have escalated. No blood but "words" spoken and chasing out of beds and away from food.

2. Bored with hay I had, I just switched and she ate more.

3. (I hope this is not it) but an underlying condition we have yet to uncover.

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:51 pm

But the vet said .6. I made the mistake. Glad I did!

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:53 pm

My yorkie has to take metacam, so the reason I made the mistake is because I could not imagine giving Sierra that much more than I give him. (even if he is only 4 pounds heavier)

rshevin

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:59 pm

Brenda, I wouldn't immediately say that dose was small enough to be worthless. Quite to the contrary Piggy hasn't been feeling well lately and I've been giving him 0.05cc as needed. It DOES seem to help him quite a bit. It's the difference in needing one Advil for a headache or a perscription Motrin (which equals 4 Advil). Just because you CAN take more doesn't mean that less is worthless.

I would work on the social situation as much as you can (change hide-outs, eliminate pigloos, rearrange the cage, provide more food resources). I'm glad she's eating more of the new hay.

Did your vet write down how much metacam? My guess is he really meant 0.06 and misspoke. It's very unusual to ever give a pig 0.6cc.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Has she had an x ray?

The dosage can range for gps.