Elvis, possibly sick or I'm paranoid

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:30 pm

We're back after a very long day at the vets office. We did a full work up. Lots of xrays and skull films. His roots looked to be in very good shape. Everything seemed just fine, except for his bottom tooth.

Elvis has a broken tooth! I swear, I don't know how this happened. I examined his teeth 3 days ago, I could've sworn it was there. Mike said he saw it there then too. How could I miss something like this? I feel just awful for not seeing it sooner.

Here it is. We have metacam for him and we will monitor closely for any possible infection.

Do you think it's possible that he damaged it and it just broke off recently?
The vet thinks that may explain the brown color that I saw on it. You can see the color on the stub that's left.

Brenda B

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Sorry about your baby's tooth. I have no experience with that but I do send good wishes your way!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm betting it will eventually grow out okay. I'm sure you know to do some extra weighings and just make sure he can eat okay.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:13 pm

The vet thinks it will grow back in just fine too. You know how I worry though.

Oh yes, we will be weighing and even giving some CC just to help him out. He seems to be eating just fine. I'm still waiting to see him eat some pellets, I've seen him eating greens and hay.

ETA: Thanks so much, Brenda B!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:40 pm

p.s. I added your photo to this thread (I think you okay with this - correct me if I'm wrong).

Hey, you should give updates and we can see how the tooth progresses.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Of course it's okay with me.

That's a good idea, I'll be taking pictures anyway to mark his progress. I'll be sure to give an update here too. I just hope it's an uneventful recovery for him.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Well the tooth has not grown back normally at all. I'll try to get a good picture of it this afternoon. I have made an appointment for him on Monday. It's grown back very crooked, kind of leaning towards the back of his mouth. There's a gap between the two teeth too.

I've also noticed that all his teeth look bad to me. Not pretty and white like they used to be.

There is an abscess on his cheek that I want looked at/reevaluated as well. It was found a while ago, if it's changed in the last few months, it's not much. The vet wanted to focus on his tooth first before considering any procedure on it. Here it is:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Some kind of systemic infection affecting his teeth too? No idea but hope you get answers.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 4:40 pm

That's what I was wondering, Lynx.

I hope we do too, poor guy gets so stressed out at the vets office. Taking SmartyPants with him helps.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 4:48 pm

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 5:00 pm

That's very interesting, I'll mention this to vet. It does seem coincidental that this all happened around the same time. Thanks for posting the link.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Sending good thoughts to Elvis.