Help! Fox Attack

tinytina1

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 5:39 am

Hi, Can anyone help me. My two beautiful piggies were attacked yesterday by a fox. Unfortunatly my little Munch was killed outright. Blackie my little fighter was lying out as if dead but when my partner went to move her he noticed a slight flinch. We picked her up and rushed her straight to the vet, she was treated with antibiotics and something for the shock and a few hours later she came back home. I have hand fed her some water and she has had a little hay and apple but I am so worried about her. Her back legs seem to be lame and she can only drag herself with her front legs. Although the Vet checked her and didnt think that her legs were fractured she is unable to move and is just laying there with a glazed look. Although she made it through the night and the first 24 hours I cant stop thinking about her she seems to be weeing and pooping. Is there any help anyone can give me to give the little angel the best fighting chance?????

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 6:43 am

Tinytina, 1st, I am very sorry this incident happened. I know how it is to have an animal get a hold of your pig. (for me it was a new dog). My pig was actually able to move fine, she just didn't want to.

I will tell you that her chances are probably not good. My vet told me the 1st 48 hours would be telling, my pig died almost exactly 48 hours after the incident.

I would hand feed and water her as much as she will accept. And good luck.

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 7:01 am

For hand feeding, feed Critical Care as first choice, or pellet mash if you don't have or are not able to get Critical Care.

Syringing water is good but a little bit of hay and apple is not the right stuff or enough.

I am so sorry this happened to your piggies. It is another example as to why they should be kept indoors only.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 8:14 am

I am so sorry this happened. I hope she will be ok.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 8:15 am

I'm sorry your pigs were hurt/killed. I hope the remaining piggy lives.

Can this thread be added to the page about the importance of indoor housing?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 am

Here is the page on handfeeding: https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

You want to get at least 50ccs in every 24 hours. Have you moved her indoors for observation?

Did the vet provide any pain medication?

I'm so sorry for your loss. How tragic.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 9:48 am

I added it to an existing thread in the records forum.

I am so sorry. Yes, make sure your pet is fed. Pain medication like meloxicam is also an anti-inflamatory.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 1:45 pm

Was an x ray done?

Pain meds would be a good idea. Keep her confined indoors.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 6:30 pm

She could have sustained a spinal injury. Did the vet by any chance give her a steroid (prednisone, prednisolone are commonly used) as part of 'something for shock'?

If she is urinating and defecating, and is not in severe pain, she may recover and be able to live quite well with some added extra care on your part. If her front legs are working, consider:

Roxy Roller

DON'T try this immediately. Get her situation stabilized first.

sammianne

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 8:07 pm

I am so sorry for your loss of Munch and am keeping Blackie in my thoughts. We will all hope for the best for her.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 10:00 pm

I am so sorry this happened to you and your pigs! I am keeping my fingers crossed for your remaining piggy.

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu May 07, 2009 12:52 am

Any news? How you doin'?