Vivi, nursing mom of 5

WICharlie

Post   » Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 am

We flushed this morning with me holding Vivi over the sink and my husband doing the flushing. Our teamwork is a bit to be desired because at one point I got a squirt of solution all over my neck, jerking my head quickly enough to avoid a squirt in the face. Vivi was very cooperative. Actually, she rarely struggles and is just a little trooper.

I don't have bentadine or saline solution. Do they sell saline solution at regular pharmacies? The only saline I have ever seen is the little bottles of nasal spray.

After the flushing, we use the syringes of Silverdene to fill the empty cavity. It doesn't take much (it's like a thick, white cream) and then I gently wiped off the excess with a tissue.

What I did not count on was that the procedure may make her feel better. I think it has. She seems to be eating better and there were poos all over the cage this morning. I was worried that she may not be eating due to an intolerance to the antibiotic, but now I'm thinking it may be due to pain and discomfort. I intend to change the fleece daily to keep things cleaner for her.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat May 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Sending more good thoughts for Vivi, and I hope she continues to feel better.

You can use the type of sterile saline that is made for contact lenses. Some have extra ingredients added, so choose the one that is basically saline.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 09, 2009 1:12 pm

Kermie831, very interesting. My large animal vet friend warned about bandaging something that was wet and said you have to dry the area before you bandage it.

This info reinforces the saline solution being better than a couple other solutions for flushing.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat May 09, 2009 2:21 pm

Lynx, there's a lot of good info in this thread. Could it be linked to in the medical reference section or records section? If I ever need to flush, I'd like to be able to find this thread easily.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 09, 2009 3:13 pm

I put up a thread in the Records forum that should lead you to this thread:

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=120

Kermie831

Post   » Sat May 09, 2009 3:44 pm

It also goes by what type of tissue is in the wound bed - necrotic /infected tissue needs sloughed off (like with the harsher cleaners) , but healthy tissue needs preserved (like with saline). Needs to be moist, but not too moist. Sometimes takes multiple approaches / techniques as the wound heals - like with Pinky.

It's a tough and constantly evolving area in medicine - lots of new products and lots of studies. It's also tough because there's often lots of comorbidities to just a wound (infection/diabetes/poor circulation)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat May 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks Lynx.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed May 13, 2009 8:32 pm

Update (and warning...do not read if squeamish!!):

I've been dutifully flushing Vivi's "cavity" and filling it with Silverdene, as per the vet's instructions. It seemed to be filling in with a brownish tissue (the color of hamburger), but I thought it was maybe the wound healing. Not having ever dealt with an open abcess, I wasn't sure what to expect. It appeared to me to be filled in and solid.

I took Vivi back to the vet today for a follow-up and the vet took a gauze and wiped at the wound. Then, rather to my shock, she began pulling out garbage (the consistency of wet tissue paper) and pulling out garbage! A WHOLE LOTTA garbage came out of what I thought was a healing over wound. She explained that that stuff was the old silverdene. She took Vivi in the back and flushed the cavity (now a hole in my pig again!) out.

So the hole is a hole again and bleedy and I have to continue to flush it some more. But she doesn't want me to use the Silverdene.

Cultures done previously came back also and she has been switched from the Bactim to Chloramphenical to combat the specific infection found. I'm kicking myself for not getting a copy of the culture report. This stuff is in pill form...so I need to crush one (actually an 8th of a pill) and mix it with something to give it to her. She loves her Critical Care, so maybe...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Yipes. How would you describe the hole now? We have to make sure other people recognize this too (filling it with silvidene is not too common).

Maybe you can get a copy next time.

Good luck!!!

Kermie831

Post   » Wed May 13, 2009 10:21 pm

Yuck. Poor punkin.

(We had to wipe out the old silvedene and put new in each time.) It took about 2 months for Pink's hole to fill.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed May 13, 2009 10:23 pm

Poor baby. It sounds awful but good info to have for anyone else with this problem.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Careful with the chlor. It can pose a risk to human health -- a very very very very tiny chance (far less than winning the lottery ;-) but not zero, so if you are crushing those pills yourself, wear gloves and possibly a mask if you can stand it.

Chlor does not dissolve well in water or water-based (Pedialyte, fruit juices, etc.) liquids. If it were me I'd see if I could get it compounded.