Request for heart pig stories

BReit81

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:41 pm

UPDATE: I just wanted to give an update on Louie but I didn't know how to do so in the existing thread. Louie died on December 2, 2008. He was one year and almost 4 months old. At the time of his death, he was on 2.5 mg a day of Benazapril and .5ccs 2x a day of Furosemide. He had also finished a round of Baytril the day before. He kept dropping weight even with adjusting his meds, feeding Critical Care, and the antibiotics. When he died he only weighted 734 grams. I feel I did all that I could and that his heart finally gave out and he was just so tired. I was devastated when he died and I am still very sad. He was the sweetest little baby. He will be missed and loved always.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:23 pm

I am so very sorry you lost him, BReit81. When you nurse them for so long, it is especially painful.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm so sorry about Louie.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Fri May 15, 2009 7:55 pm

I wanted to post about using Vetmedin on heart pigs. I have three on it now.

Freddie, Eloise and Dibs. All three have enlarged hearts on x-ray, have a history of extreme heart symptoms including rattling, hooting, bad circulation and very heavy breathing, plus loss of appetite.

I almost lost Freddie and Eloise to heart failure last summer but they are still with me. Freddie is going down hill a little but Eloise and Dibs are doing great. I suspect Freddie is older than we first thought.

Dr. Kanfer prescribed Vetmedin, 1.25mg, 1/4 tablet twice a day for these pigs. Within days they all recovered, started eating on their own and no longer had breathing problems, congestion or any other symptoms.

It isn't very expensive and so far has worked like a miracle.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri May 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Mine has been on the Vetmedin (Pimobendan) for several months and still has problems breathing including, from time to time, hooting.

She also gets Lasix and Lotinsen.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Sat May 16, 2009 11:47 am

How much Lotensin and Lasix is she on? I find I have to up the Lasix periodically when they rattle. So far Freddie has only rattled a couple of times and that is usually at the end of when the Lotensin is near expiration. It is supposed to last 8 weeks but I refill in 6. Did you see the post where I found a great compounding pharmacist? He ships for a minimal charge. Mum has started using him and is very happy with the service and compounding, as I am.

Maja

Post   » Sun May 24, 2009 8:05 am

Masha...

1) Female, agouti mix, 3 yrs 8 months

2) During the past few months her energy level decreased significantly, became sleepy, lethargic, wouldn't come out of the cage, I thought the changes were because she lost her cagemate. Loss of appetite, became a picky eater, her weight was stabile at 1150 gr despite of changes in her eating habits. Stopped eating 3 times during the last 2 months. Loss of muscular tonus. Sometimes hooting at night. Her weight now is 1090 gr.

3) X ray showed huge heart. Lungs clear of fluid. We're going to take cardiac ultrasound in a couple of days...

4) Lasix 2mg twice a day, enalapril 0,5 mg/kg twice a day. Benazepril is not available here.

5) None yet. It's her 4 th day on meds.

6) Bad fungal infection when I got her that took 2 months to clear up. GIT stasis problem, once almost lost her. She had abscess on her neck twice (both sides). Last year had a surgery to remove abscess, recovered well. Blocked tear duct.

pinta

Post   » Sun May 24, 2009 1:20 pm

If the lungs are clear of fluid, why is she on Lasix? Is Vetmedin available there?

Maja

Post   » Sun May 24, 2009 2:57 pm

I asked why is she on Lasix too; the vet said that even though she doesn't have any fluid in her lungs adding Lasix at minimum dose in combination with ACE inhibitors lowers mortality in animals with heart failure.

I think we have Vetmedin (pimobendan), I already talked about it with my vet. He said we should wait a couple of days and see if enalapril works, if not then switch the meds. Do you have better results with Vetmedin than ACE inhibitors?

My main problem is making Masha to eat... She only picks up on strawberries, spinach and hay; she doesn't wanna eat any salad or other veggies that she would normally eat. I syringe feed her too but it's tricky because she fights me, I try not to force her too much because of her weak heart.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun May 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Lasix will only clear fluid from the chest cavity. It will do nothing for the heart itself. Vetmedin will help the heart directly.

Just for info purposes Benazapril is the generic version of Lotinsen and is used for human heart problems. I know people who take it. I'll bet it is available where you are but possibly going by a different name.

My little one is on Benazapril, Lasix and Vetmedin twice every day.

pinta

Post   » Mon May 25, 2009 2:29 am

I don't think Vetmedin is used by itself. As far as I know it's used in conjunction with an ace inhibitor.

adding Lasix at minimum dose in combination with ACE inhibitors lowers mortality in animals with heart failure.

I'd be interested in any studies your vet knows of about this.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Little Bit, my bladder stone pig, was just diagnosed with heart problems. Here's her relevant info:

1 - Little Bit, abby, 5 years old, female
2 - Initial symptoms: She started breathing heavily and not eating as much.
3 - Initial testing: X-rays were done, which indicated fluid in the lungs. Heart also appeared 60% larger than normal. Heart murmur heard.
4 - Drugs prescribed: She is on Lasix (0.1 cc 2x daily) to get the fluid out of her lungs. She is on benazepril (0.4 cc 1x daily). The vet also recently added nitroglycerin, which I rub on her ear once daily.
5 - Current symptoms: She is still breathing rapidly, but it is not as bad as it was. She goes back for a 3rd reevaluation this week. She seems to be eating more and has more energy now.
6 - Other health issues: She has bladder stones. She has had two surgeries. She is on polycitra and shilintong.

Question: Has anyone else's vet prescribed nitroglycerin? My vet uses it on rabbits, so he is giving it a try with Little Bit.