infect flu from me?

persiancity

Post   » Wed May 13, 2009 2:37 pm

I am sick a little and think I infected flu.
is it possible that my g. pig infect from me? in other word is flu common between human and g. pigs?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed May 13, 2009 2:50 pm

No, you cannot pass anything to him but you should wash your hands before/ after handling him of course.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Ditto Sus4. Flus are viruses. Viruses bother people more than guinea pigs, while bacterial infections bother guinea pigs more than people (in general).

Wash your hands before and after handling him and don't sneeze in his face, but other than that, flu should not go from you to him. If you think you might have something like a strep infection, though, that's a different story. Are you sure a case of the flu is what you have?

persiancity

Post   » Wed May 13, 2009 3:39 pm

I am not sure. but I am sure it is begin of something like flu... I feel itchy throat and sneeze.

is strep infection dangrous for g. pig? for bacteria?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 14, 2009 10:41 pm

Yes. Bacterial infections are worse for them than for us. Viral infections are worse for us than for them.

Does your throat hurt really really bad? Like someone's putting an ice pick through it?

An itchy throat and sneezing does not sound like strep to me, but err on the side of caution. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling him, and try to keep your face away from his.

persiancity

Post   » Fri May 15, 2009 7:26 am

@sus4rabbitsnpigs

@Talishan
I totally confused what is it I got! not sure it is flu or not.
I have to go my doctor today because I feel a little bellyache now! x_x

my pig is free in my room and usually sleep near my bed under a table. today I moved table to other corner far from myself for more safety. and tried to do not tuch him and use a mask when I want to feed him etc.

hope these are enough :D

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 15, 2009 10:28 pm

Should be okay. Do wash your hands before you handle him, work with him, feed him etc. Is he your avatar pig?

Bellyache is in my opinion probably viral and not bacterial, but I am not a doctor or nurse or any kind of medical professional. Do let us know what the doctor says (we want you to get well as well as your pig not to get sick! ;-)

persiancity

Post   » Sat May 16, 2009 10:02 am

@Talishan
thanks. I went to my dr and he said it is allergy more than flu. btw he gave me amoxiclav too. so it should be a virus + allergy I think :D

yes, my avatar is my g. pig picture :D

http://i44.tinypic.com/24gorjo.jpg
and
http://i44.tinypic.com/5m0851.jpg

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Side note -- keep the amoxiclav well, well, well away from your pig. It is one of the most dangerous fatal AB's (to guinea pigs) out there.

Hope you are feeling better and he does well! He's beautiful.