First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:31 pm

Well, one thing I've learned. If you have a female and you can afford it, get an ultrasound. Look at all the things discovered about Elsie from it. I could have dismissed it as a UTI simply because she has stopped whimpering when she pees after being on Baytril for 3 days. I suspected that there was more going on with her so that's why I just called up and scheduled the ultrasound.

I can't afford all this vet care and it is tapping me out financially but they're worth it to me. The credit card is coming out on Thursday anyway.

Getting two piggies spayed and then home safe and sound...priceless.

Becky

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:21 pm

I think Josephine might have brought this up earlier?

Maybe there are so many reproductive problems in these sows because they've never had a litter? Seems like spays are becoming almost routine.

Still good thoughts headed your way for your piggers.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:16 am

Update: I noticed yesterday at lunchtime that Elsie had lost her appetite. So, I gave her Critical Care. I gave her more at dinnertime that I mixed with Strawberry/Apple baby food. Then, late last night she ate quite a bit of red leaf lettuce.

This morning she again ate some lettuce and some strawberry but now she has diarrhea. She does eat hay as well. I stopped the Baytril. Her last dose was yesterday morning.

Please tell me what I can do today about the diarrhea. She's having surgery tomorrow!

If I should give her a poop from one of the other girls, it can be any poop, right?

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:36 am

Ideally it should be one of the lighter, softer, "special" poops. But the freshest poops you can get are the best you can do. I don't know if that alone will halt diarrhea, but I would give up to 5 poops. Is the diarrhea bad? Do you have any diarrhea medicine? I have given .10 cc of children's kaopectate for diarrhea.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:43 am

I would also give her some fluids. If you can't do SQ, then Pedialyte.

Another thought is that you might call the vet in the a.m. to discuss possibly rescheduling the surgery. Diarrhea can weaken them considerably in a short time.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:51 am

Thanks for the reply. How do I get one of those soft poops? I have three girls and here's the situation: I have never seen Elsie or Sophie eat a poop. I have seen Angel dive down between her legs quite often and eat one. So, how do I get one for Elsie???

I'll go home at lunch and see how she is. I'll have to isolate her to see if she's pooping or not. The diarrhea was pretty mushy and smelly.

I will call the vet later this afternoon to see if we should reschedule the surgery. I don't want to compromise her chances of a good recovery.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:16 am

I had this awful sense of dejavu. Realized it was another poster, not you with a second thread. Yes, if there is diarrhea, you may need to reschedule surgery.

I one time and one time only got a bunch of what I thought were special poops when I bathed Kitten. They just slipped out and seemed lighter in color. Maybe a good scare? (kidding) I don't actually know a good method for getting those special poops so a regular fresh poop might be better. Meanwhile, I imagine you are withholding vegs.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:48 am

I think I made a mistake giving her the red leaf lettuce last night and this morning. I didn;t know she would get diarrhea. I suspect it's from the Baytril which I stopped as of yesterday morning. I am hoping to have her system back to normal by tonight!

What can I feed her?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:14 pm

Hay and pellets. Lots of them. Critical care would be fine too. Was the baytril dose really high? At 10mg/kg or higher? I wonder if something is going on that needs intervention. Are things improving yet?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:32 pm

Okay, I have her here at work with me now. There was lots of wet diarrhea in the cage. Now she's eating nothing but Timothy Hay and Critical Care. The CC is not easy to get into a syringe! Any tricks to doing that???

Yes, the Baytril dose was the max....10kg per day. I had a feeling something went wrong yesterday morning. When I went to give her the Baytril she refused it and I had to force it....thankfully I gave her a little less than the dosage prescribed. When I gave it to her Sat., Sun. and Monday she loved taking it so much I thought she was going to swallow the syringe! I had to fight her to get it back!

She's now got soft wet, mushy poops coming out...better than a pile of diarrhea she had before. I have to bring Angel in to get her stitches out tomorrow so I'll wait until the morning to see how Elsie is. I'm afraid if she has Pyometra or the start of it...I don;t want to delay the surgery.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:59 pm

Well, it's 9:00 pm. now and we have poops!!! I'm so happy to see them! They are on the soft side but at least they're formed. She's eating hay and a bit of critical care every half hour.

She most likely will have the surgery tomorrow. I am a nervous wreck..staying home from work to wait for the call to see how she did.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:12 pm

I don't envy you. I sit here and give out all this practical advice, but I tell you, when Nina's foot swoll up I was frantic. I am a big wimp when it comes to my pigs (I think the worst).

Good luck tomorrow!