GI Upset

rshevin

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 2:13 am

I don't have any good ophthalmic antibiotics (just some terramycin) on hand so we'll visit the vet if it gets worse. I can, however, pick up some GenTeal gel. That's probably a good idea regardless. I'm just glad I had a bottle of saline in the house that I could grab immediately and rinse his eye with, thanks to GL. I'll be picking up another for sure. It's so worth the $1 to always have a fresh, sterile bottle. I'll use this bottle for the entirely of this injury and then have fresh for later.

It's a human thing of course, but I'm still freaked out that hey had hay IN his eye. Eeeeps right? If he would stop sleeping in the hay pile this wouldn't happen. I see that as a human sleeping in the pantry with a hand in a bag of potato chips. Lazy pigs.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 9:08 am

I hope Piggy's eye is better today.

I probably should pick up some saline to have on hand. You just never know when you are going to need it.

rshevin

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 12:03 pm

Camende, I would strongly recommend it. This is the 2nd time I've used it but the first in an emergency situation. It's so cheap and comes wrapped up and sterile. When I have time to plan head I warm the bottle in a bowl of hot water like you would a baby bottle so it isn't so cold in the eye.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 1:23 pm

"I see that as a human sleeping in the pantry with a hand in a bag of potato chips"

Ha!

Where do you get the sterile saline?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Any drug store and most large supermarkets carry it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Is it the Oceans stuff you can buy for your nose?

rshevin

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 7:43 pm

No, that stuff doesn't have the right concentration of salts. I'm also not sure it's sterile. What you want is made for contact lenses but it's the PLAIN, old fashioned stuff. Nothing about "no rub" or gets the protein out or anything like that. This is the stuff you use with heat disinfection or to wash off modern storage solution if you have sensitive eyes. If it costs more than $1 and small change chances are you have the wrong stuff. It's a large-ish bottle, probalby 300mL or so.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks. I was trying to imagine squirting Oceans in my eye and it wasn't appealing.

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 9:04 am

Piggy's eye is starting to look cloudy so we have a 3:50 appointment with the vet today. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it there from work but I didn't want to wait until it got infected and nasty.

Anything I should ask about other than the obvious?

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 7:21 pm

Well, Piggy has a great big ulceration on his cornea. :-( Ironically though, the vet sent me home with the one ointment I already had, terramycin, and said to keep him on the metacam. No big deal though, the stuff I have is sort of old. But poor Piggy! The scratch is huge.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Oh my! poor Piggy! I hope he starts healing fast.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Sending good thoughts for Piggy, and I hope he has a speedy and uneventful recovery.

He's such a good boy (not even making a fuss).