Raising a piggy in India

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun May 17, 2009 4:29 pm

acehardwareoutlet.com
oxbowanimalhealth.com
sweetmeadowfarm.com
kmshayloft.com
animart.com

It took me literally 5 minutes to find this information, and they all deliver internationally. I don't understand why there is confusion?

I guarantee you that my sending you the hay will not be cost effective. As far as time, goes, it will be at least 2 weeks until I am able to head out for some shopping, as I am still in the middle of exams. In that time, you can definitely get a bag shipped.

Anyways, when I go to buy pellets in a few weeks, I can check back in with you and see if you have gotten your hay. If you have not, I'll grab a bag or two and send it out.

I'm not sure of the quantity, as I buy my hay from back home in bulk, and the bags here are quite small. If I remember correctly, the small bag lasted me about 2 weeks for 2 pigs, so I assume for your one pig it will last 1 month.

In fact, I have another idea. Would you like me to give you the numbers to the pet stores I buy hay from, and perhaps they may be able to ship to you directly, or even may have some info on where to get hay in Chandigarh?

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun May 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Acehardwareoutlet seemed the most reasonable site, and also gives bulk quotes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 17, 2009 5:37 pm

I don't believe kmshayloft.com delivers internationally but her hay is fab!

sahil4731

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 5:36 am

From acehardware.com

Shipping for Zip Code - 134112
Shipping Method Expected Delivery Time Cost
International Standard Shipping 5/28/2009 to 6/10/2009 $65.97
International Economy Shipping 5/28/2009 to 6/25/2009 $37.48

Subtotal $4.17
Shipping Cost $37.48
Order Total $41.65
Check the price and date. This is what I had meant. Don't worry. I will arrange it soon. Thanks anyways.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 7:52 am

How much hay are you getting for this price?

40 US dollars, translates roughly into 2000 rs. Over here, that would get you about 4 or 5 months worth of hay.

sahil4731

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 am

450 gms approx.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 11:36 am

Lynx, a pet shop owner I had spoken to told me they do send internationally, but you have to contact them directly and request it. They may also require a bulk order. It's worth a try?

Sahil, that seems steep for half a kg. Did you try the other sites? If you can hang in there for a week or two, I can figure out a way. I'll email a friend of mine, who orders her hay online, and see where she gets it from. She's a bit busy, though, so it may take some time to get a reply.

Did you want the number of the pet shops, in the meantime, that supply hay in Bangalore?

I still find it hard to believe that In Chandigarh you are not able to find hay..I thought that city had the best infrastructure, and that it was advanced and whatnot! What a pickle.

sahil4731

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 2:48 pm

For dogs, cats, birds you'll get whatever you want. Even more. Its a small city with a population of about 12 lacs. Yes it has highest per capita income, highest per capita cars but nope, no hay for piggies.

Rest I'll find the hay. Thanks.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Wed May 20, 2009 4:42 pm

You haven't mentioned whether or not you want the numbers of the shops here. You would rather have me send you hay than talk to them directly?

Anyways, spoke to my friend. She buys her hay from ebay.com, from a user called "farmer dave". This user sends packages to India regularly, from what she tells me. You'll need to open an account with them, and have a credit card handy.

Be aware, though, that customs officials can sometimes wonder why you're having hay delivered, rather than use Indian hay, especially in a place like Punjab, where agriculture is so common! Let them know what the situation is, and you should be fine.

Packaging and shipping charges constitute the main bulk of the price, but in the long run, it still comes out cheaper than if you were to buy the smaller bags here. She stays in Bangalore, also, but buys her hay online, as it is more economical.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Wed May 20, 2009 4:46 pm

I'll be getting pellets in a week or so. Let me know what happens, ya?

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Tue May 26, 2009 5:21 pm

This question is apart from the current hay conversation, but I wasn't sure where to post it... so I'll go ahead and ask here. If there is a better thread to put it in, let me know, and I'll copy and paste it.

Living in a tropical region, we have a large variety of vegetables that are common here and may not be in other countries. The opposite is also true: many veggies commonly fed there are not easily available here (i.e. lettuces).

Sooo here's a few things that I've had my eyes on, and would like to know if I can feed them:

1. different types of gourds - bottle, ridge, bitter, ivy, etc
2. okra
3. squashes: eggplant, etc
4. guava, custard apple, coconut, fig, tamarind, gooseberry
5. basil, fenugreek leaves, mint
6. lotus root

Some of these items may have alternate names, so please let me know if you would like me to find another name or describe the fruit/vegetable/leaf.

I have a feeling that some of the listed fruits will have a very high fat content, but I would still like to check and see if they are alright to give.

Thanks!

Zoe

Post   » Thu May 28, 2009 10:55 pm

I don't know that any of those fruits and vegetables are toxic, but some seem too rich or oily. Anything starchy is probably a bad idea. My guys love bananas, but if they get it it's only a tiny amount. Coconut is all oil, so I'd say no. Probably the only things on that list that I'd consider... and only as a treat... would be guava and gooseberry. Maybe custard apple is okay in tiny amounts? The other's seem either too starchy, too sweet or too oily.

And eggplant like tomato is a member of the black nightshade family. The leaves should never be eaten and the fruits should be ripe. Eggplant doesn't seem right for a guinea pig.

I have heard that pigs don't like basil or mint and that it's a rodent repellant, but I think some people on here have said their pigs eat those. The only herb I feel good feeding my guys is cilantro (coriander). Maybe fennel is okay, but it's sweet and I'm guessing you would need to go easy on that.

If anyone disagrees, please post. I am just spewing my opinions here off the top of my head and if it's not accurate I'd like to know!

Good luck with your India pigs Pimpinpuji! I always love to know what it's like for pigs and their owners in places besides California!