Vivi, nursing mom of 5

WICharlie

Post   » Fri May 22, 2009 9:23 pm

Yes, T, it would have been nice to know.

Vivi went to the vet yesterday for a final check up. Her infection went down dramatically when she was started on the new antibiotic. Initially, the "cavity" of the abcess was about the size of a small grape. I continued to flush several times a day after the vet visit talked about above. One thing was that the wound tended to want to heal closed. Initially, I gently opened it by swabbing it with a q-tip, but after a few days, I let it heal closed. The scab then fell off revealing a pea-sized cavity (which I then flushed a few times). I had switched to Saline solution by then.

The vet says everything looks great and that I don't have to flush anymore. Vivi is much more active than she was and is eating very well and keeping her weight up without any syringe feedings. She's finally starting to get the nerve to come out when I am around, since I am not hurting her as much anymore. I still need to finish out the full 10 days of the chlor, but it appears she is going to be just fine.

The chlor does not dissolve in water. I have a small mortar and pestle (from my husband being a pharmacist) and I crush it in that and measure out a half cc syringe of apple juice that I add to the crushed meds. Then I mix it and slowly suck it up, trying to get most of it into the apple juice. It seems to work pretty well and she likes the apple juice.

Thanks for all the help that everyone extented. I guess now I can "do" abcesses.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri May 22, 2009 9:29 pm

Congratulations to both you and Vivi. Good job on both your parts. Now, just stay well little girl.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Chlor rocks. If the pig can tolerate it, if you are careful with it, and if the organism(s) involved are susceptible to it, it's the 82nd Airborne of AB's in my opinion. ;-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 22, 2009 10:45 pm

This is a great update! Glad to hear things are clearly turning around.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 pm

That is great news :)

Kermie831

Post   » Sat May 23, 2009 12:23 am

YAY!