The Brooklyn Guinea Gang

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 11:55 pm

Hello everybody!

My name is Spin and I am a very special piggie, or at least, that is what my mom keeps telling me :)

I have been trying to convince mom to start my own chronicle but she says it has to be our chronicle, as in everybody at the house getting to tell his / her story. So I'm thinking, fine, whatever, just get on it lady :) Just kidding, I love mom!

So, here it goes:

In April 2004, right after my mom moved to a new apartment in Jackson Heights, Queens, she was walking around the new neighborhood, trying to take in the new stores, people, and smells! A lot of restaurants, different cuisines and a lot of people living in that neighborhood from what I've been told. And walking by she saw a pet store. So, in she went and started looking around. Next to the register, there was a large cage filled with baby guinea pigs, all very small and almost all sleeping. Well, all were sleeping, except me :)

I saw her looking at the piggies and smiling as if she was remembering something pleasant. She later told me that she had guinea pigs all her life growing up in Romania and that she absolutely loved them all :) But anyways, the lady turned around to leave and then I decided that I wanted somebody like her to smile at me.

So, really fast, I started running circles around the wooden hut and spinning and popcorning all over the sleepy heads in the cage. Let me tell you, they all got annoyed with me but I did not care: the lady looked back and started laughing. Next thing I know, the guy at the store came to pick me up. Well, I knew that guy from before and got scared of him and ran to hide in the wooden house. I heard the lady say she'll get me out of the cage and the guy say something about guinea pigs biting and stuff ... Well, some people deserve it!

She lifted the wooden house and let me sniff her fingers :) And then, she just picked me up, just like that! I did not even get scared :)

I was the size of her thumb :) But very brave, you know!

She asked the people at the store about any aproximate date of birth, and one lady that worked there remembered that the baby pigs were born on April 15th, her son's birthday. And that is how I know my birthday.

When I got to mom's home, well ... her roommates, not very happy about pets :(
But mom said she did not care and off we went to her room. She told me my name will be Spin because my spinning in circles in the cage won her heart :)

And that is how I ended up with my mom; my large piggie family is a different story :) A lot of piggies came, some of which I like, others that I hate and one that I adored :)

But that is all to come ...

* picture of baby Spin - May 2004 - about 5 weeks old *

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed May 20, 2009 12:11 am

Hey Spin, you're adorable! How smart of you to run around and get your mom's attention the way you did!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 20, 2009 8:51 am

I'm looking forward to hearing more from Spin! I think he's lucky he won your heart.

clairey

Post   » Wed May 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Nice to meet you, Spin. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your family.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Wed May 20, 2009 4:41 pm

I love the baby picture of Spin and the story of doing zoomies in the cage to get your attention.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the piggies from Brooklyn.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed May 20, 2009 6:20 pm

What a cute wee piggy!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu May 21, 2009 12:54 am

So, a few weeks in mom's house and I started getting lonely. I love mom and people but I just felt like I missed guinea friends :(
And mom worked long hours soo I pouted a little so mom could see I was sad. Well, it worked: she went back to the store and brought back the last of the babies in that cage.

Meet Nutmeg, he was my friend for a short time, until an "experienced" vet sort of killed him:

He was such a neat piggie, always playing with me, never arguing that I was the boss. He got a throat absccess one day and after surgery the vet kept telling mom that Baytril is the best antibiotic and it does not cause lack of appetite and to keep on giving it. Then the vet told mom to drop Nutmeg off at their office and let them treat him. A few days into the "treatment", when mom went to visit him he was wasted away to nothing and would just lay there. Mom asked that he be PTS.

I got so depressed, I kept looking around the cage for Nutmeg, but he never came back home again :(

Here is a picture of me with my buddy:

RIP my friend, I will forever miss you!

gem

Post   » Thu May 21, 2009 6:54 am

R.I.P Nutmeg you will be missed.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu May 21, 2009 2:28 pm

Well hello Brooklyn gang, it is about time your mommy starts your own very special thread! :)
I am so sorry you lost your buddy Nutmeg, I know he will always be missed by your mommy too...

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed May 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Well, after Nutmeg died, I got really depressed :( At the beginning I would wheek and wheek, but after a while I knew he is never coming back.

I would just sleep all day ... Mom got worried. She went to the pet store to get me toys (back then she knew nothing about how "evil" pet stores were): and she came back with the most awesome of toys - she came back with a piggie. She really did not intended to get another piggie at that time as she was not working and she kept stressing about how was she going to pay for our care. What got to her was that there were about 7 piggies crammed into a small glass tank, with no clean water and a bowl of pellets only. The piggies in the tank could not even move around, they had to push each other out of the way to get to the pellets.

So, mom looked at them, and saw that one was pushed into a corner, and each time the other piggies would push around to get to the pellets the piggie in the corner would just shake continually. He never made a move for the pellets: it looked like he was petrified :( So, mom brought him home!

The new piggie had no name for about a month. That piggie ate everything in sight. That would include the hair on his belly :) He was treated for mites several times but he is just a barberer (he still does it to this day). After about a month, mom named the new piggie Mushroom, aka Mushy. She gave him that name because in the month that he had been with us, he grew from a skeleton with fur into a plump piggie :) It kind of reminded mom of the way mushrooms grow very fast after a good rain (that was when mom was a kid and often went to pick mushrooms).

This is a picture of my buddy Mushroom.
Because he is a food hog, over time we got into arguments, but all in all, he is a great buddy :) He just wants to be left alone to sleep and eat :)

The second picture is just so you can see his pretty coloring :)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed May 27, 2009 10:07 pm

Awe, Mushroom is a good looking boy. I'll bet he's happy he came to live with you guys.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed May 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Mushroom says thank you Bugs Mom. He came to live with me in November 2004 - he was fully grown, but skinny as a rail. Now he has to be at least 6 yo. He is a loner pig, that prefers the company of food to that of piggies :) But he has two roommates nonetheless: the king of the house, Spin, and Panchito.