Desperate CL'er want to keep piggies if she can fly w/them

Zoe

Post   » Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 am

I wish we could help her do a pig train. Relay them from one guinealynxer to another. If I were moving across country, I would consider driving instead of taking a plane. My family came to California from Boston in 1967 with a rabbit, 2 guinea pigs, a turtle, 2 iguanas and a few snakes. I don't remember the details, but we did it. All arrived safely. We spent the summer in Colorado, so there was a nice break in between.

I have an early memory of another trip where my sister's guinea pigs went by plane across country. They died during the trip. I am just so afraid of flying animals unless I am with them.

Kermie831

Post   » Thu May 28, 2009 2:57 am

We drove just for the purpose of keeping everyone with us.

When is she moving? (We just drove back and forth from IL to NJ). and we might be doing it again in October.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Thu May 28, 2009 8:42 am

I am driving from IL to Philly in August. I could drive them if we could get them here somehow.

Has anyone looked into petairways? I know it is pricey at $150 but to me it would be worth it to keep my babies.

rpaws

Post   » Thu May 28, 2009 8:44 am

Maybe JetBlue can help.

Their website doesn't seem to be very user friendly, but they do take dogs and cats. There is something about
"These requirements listed above do not apply to certified service animals or emotional support animals." There are guidelines pertaining to certified service animals and emotional support animals, but the link doesn't work for me.

Maybe a phone call? Whatever, definitely get the information in writing.

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Thu May 28, 2009 11:53 am

I'm relaying all of your info to her via email! Thank you and keep it coming.

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 2:25 pm

I got this email today:

Hi Christina,

I called continental again, and they still said guinea pigs are not allowed. I am going there for medical school, so I will be traveling back and forth. I talked it over with my mom and she thinks the best thing for the pigs is that they go to a more stable home. I am really sad but I want whats best for my boys. Can you please help me post them for adoption on your website? they will come with food, hay, their toys, and anything else I have for them, thanks so much for all your help.

God bless you,

Diana

Does anyone have any ideas?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Can she get her mom to 'foster' them for the time being? If she is in LB, the shelter there will just put them to sleep. They don't adopt out small animals.

Kermie831

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 3:25 pm

If she can get them to the east coast... I'm an hour from Philly, we would be happy to watch the boys over holiday breaks and such.

Obviously hypothetical - but if they could get to IL, and camende brought them out, we could also watch them until school starts and she is out here. (Jesse highly recommends Camp Camende!)

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 3:32 pm

:o) I get the feeling she's just getting rid of them now. Her mother talked her into finding a better home. I am giving up! :o)

I already asked everyone I knew, and she is not interested in driving apparently, or really keeping them.

Plus they have to be separated.

I tried.

Thanks everyone!

Kermie and Camende, thanks for your offers!

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Sun May 31, 2009 11:22 am

Just an fyi for anyone needing to fly and need to bring their pigs or rats or other small animals with them.

I read in yesterday's papers that Southwest is going to allow passengers to bring small pets with them, $75 per pet. SW doesn't fly pets in cargo so you can have your pet with you the whole time in the main cabin. I'm assuming that the pet carrier will have to fit under your seat or under the seat in front of you.

The only wrinkle is that they are facing objections from people who don't want animals in the main cabin because of their allergies.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun May 31, 2009 11:38 am

Delta will only allow animals in the cargo now. A lady called my vets office when I happened to be there asking about how they would handle a flight from Boston to ATL. She is moving here.

I told her about the one member we have that moved their pigs from Japan and they came through ok in cargo.

re: the SW thing - people are too sensitive. If the animal is kept in the carrier the whole time why would it bother them? And if they can't handle sitting near it pick a seat further away. Isn't that the airline that doesn't do assigned seating?

rshevin

Post   » Sun May 31, 2009 12:34 pm

The thing is, there can always be animals in the cabin because assistance animals will always be allowed. Not to mention the dander on the clothes of the person next to you, who hugged his sweet kitty minutes before leaving for the airport. People are just looking for something to complain about.

Unfortunately Southwest has restricted to dogs and cats only.