Raising a piggy in India

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu May 28, 2009 11:04 pm

Let's see, with the possible exception of the gooseberry, I wouldn't feed any of #4. Between seeds and excessive sugar/starch I can't think they'd be good for a piggy.

If they like any of the gourds, they are probably ok in small amounts and mine loves orange mint. She does not like a heavy licorice flavor and many mints have that flavor.

I personally don't like okra so I've never feed it to mine. Too bad about the lettuces. Is it too hot where you are for them?

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 2:35 am

Zoe and Bug's mom, thank you so much for the replies!!!

I'm actually from Orange County, California, but I'm studying here. I bought them here, and will bring them back home with me when I'm done. I REALLY look forward to raising them at home, where pig-friendly products and accessories are much more accessible.

I think the climates here are just not very lettuce-friendly. There is an organic produce company about a half hour from here that grows their lettuce, but their non-iceberg lettuce comes in bags as a mix. Unfortunately, the bags only last a maximum of 24 hrs, and so I can't buy in bulk. Thankfully, they enjoy cilantro.

Pinky and The Brain have become so unbelievably finicky lately, that I don't know what to do with them! If I give them only one or two veggies and cilantro at a time, they won't eat. They need to have the tomatoes, the cilantro, the capsicum, the beans, the pomegranate, the sweet lime, the cucumbers, etc all at once - or its just not up to standard. They may not eat it all, but it has to be there, nonetheless.

Unfortunately, even that has become boring for them, and I'm not sure how to make them eat, considering they are on the small side, as it is.

I will definitely try out some gourd and goosberry!!! Thank you so much for your help! I'll post an update on here, as soon as these experiments have some results.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 2:38 am

Interesting. You were able to fly them there without issue?

When are you moving back?

Can you try growing some things indoors in pots?

Cilantro is a good staple.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 2:47 am

I believe she purchased them in India but plans to bring them to the States. I don't know how that will work out though.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 2:53 am

Ok, I thought you wrote you brought them there.

Some countries make you put them in quarantine for several months when you get there. Don't know if US is one of them.

sahil4731

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 3:04 am

A few Indian International airlines allow pets in them. Not in the cabin though. I believe pets are to be quarantined for about a month before taking them to the US.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 4:57 am

Sus, I bought them here, in India!

From what I have researched, there is no quarantine required on Guinea Pigs, as they do not carry any natural diseases. After landing, a vet has a look at them to make sure everything looks fine and healthy, and they can be on their way!

I'll be leaving here in another 2 years, so lots of things can change between now and then. Hopefully, they will change for the better and not for worse! Kingfisher Airlines (an Indian company) has recently started travelling internationally, and they are quite pet-friendly. Hopefully, this attitude of theirs continues. Right now, though, they only fly into New York, which is another problem on its own, as I would have to find a way to get them across the US. I am really hesitant to send them in cargo, and would rather take them in the cabin. I suppose research will have to be done when the time comes.

About the plants, I've never thought about that! I'll look into it! What plants are good for indoor growing?

Zoe

Post   » Fri May 29, 2009 11:42 am

Any chance of posting pictures on this thread?

I was also wondering about growing things yourself. I am imagining romaine with grow lights. Is your place air conditioned? It wouldn't hurt to try.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sat May 30, 2009 4:38 am

Will get pictures up as soon as I figure out how to post them! You'll have to forgive the picture quality, though, because:

1. my camera sucks
2. the boys don't pose for me
3. I end up getting more pictures of their bums, than I do of their faces.

No air conditioning... I have a fan? lol

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun May 31, 2009 7:52 am

Sahil, I'm going for pellets on the 6th. What's your status? Do you need hay?

Where are you getting pellets from, by the way?

Zoe

Post   » Sun May 31, 2009 12:39 pm

I have emailed pictures to people here who do know how to post them, and bless 'em, they've posted for me.

I really should learn too.

sahil4731

Post   » Sun May 31, 2009 2:30 pm

My friend has just moved to Mumbai. Have told her to do the needful.
So its ok.