Raising a piggy in India

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun May 31, 2009 2:48 pm

Oki doki, sounds good!

Zoe, ahahah that really is quite "efficient" though, I must say! But yes, it probably is a good idea to learn ;)

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun May 31, 2009 4:31 pm

This is an experiment! If it doesn't work: well, then I guess I'll have to open up a photobucket account. If it does, goody goody gumdrops!

So, here is a fun picture from when the piggies were still really tiny, and when they were still using hidies (Now they have tents).

ETA: Ok, that was a flop.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun May 31, 2009 4:58 pm

I got it!! Ok here's a few older photos. The size difference between the two is quite evident. Now, the difference has reversed!

Pinky on the right, and The Brain on the left.

Over here, Pinky is on the left. In the beginning, I used one of those pet store cages layed on its side, and made two levels. In place of a proper cage, I had used a cut up refrigerator box. This isn't a very good angle, but I like the expressions on their faces.

The boys going for a walk on the balcony, while their cage is being cleaned. This series of pictures was taken at my boyfriend's place - he took care of them, while I had gone home for a few weeks.

The Brain, harassing Pinky, as usual.

The Brain knocked over the bowl of water, and then walked around in the puddle a bit. If you look closely, you can see little footprints in the background.

The Brain

Yay!! I finally posted pictures!!! I'll put some newer ones soon.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:40 am

I would like to add, that perhaps these pictures can also give an idea of how to make a cage big enough, if C&C is not available.

When hideys are not available, cheap plastic bowls and cardboard are great to use!

I'll get up a picture of my old cage with the cardboard as soon as I can find it.

Zoe

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:52 am

Oh my! What beautiful little piggies you have. Thanks for the pictures.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 am

Thank you, Zoe! I posted them up again in another thread, because I realized that this was probably the wrong thread to post them in, and it was do late to delete it. Oops!

Zoe

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 am

I think it's appropriate in both threads.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:42 am

The spearmint seems to be a success! I have only been giving a few sprigs of it to each pig, but it's being eaten! Goody.

Ridge gourd has been mostly a failure. They will eat the insides, if there is nothing else to excite them. Otherwise, it is mostly ignored.

Okra was also a complete failure.

Will report on bottle gourd tomorrow.

Then again, I have really picky brats.

For people in India reading this, in case you don't know:

bottle gourd - lauki
ridge gourd - turaii
bitter gourd - karela

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:46 pm

The bottle gourd and mint are both successes!

The bottle gourd is not as appreciated when it dries out, however, so I'm making sure it's wet when I serve it, to prolong the drying out process.

Our newest experiment is "kohlrabi", which is called "ganth gobi" in Hindi. It is also a huge success. This is so exciting for us!

Sahil, since you're the only one on here that is in India at the moment, I strongly suggest you try these out! If there is anything nifty and different that is working for you, please let us know, ya?

sahil4731

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Lol! Bitter gourd. Even diabetic people turn up their nose against it. J/k.

Well Haven't tried all the mentioned gourds. Coriander, Tomato, Cucumber, Kakri (Don't know the english name) watermelon they like. Other things too. Can't recall them as my mind is kinda blocked at the moment. Tired of my books.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:50 am

Hah, you never know, Sahil, they might actually like it?

Lauki has been a success with me, and I'm happy about that. Cucumbers are their favorite item, and I'm sure if they like that, they will like Kakri, though I don't know what it is called in English. I'll post as soon as I find out.

My boys also enjoy pomegranate and mausambi (I think it's called sweet lime?). They like methi leaf (fenugreek), but I find that it gives a methi-like smell to their urine, so I don't give it anymore.

I've experimented a lot, because they are so incredibly picky.

sahil4731

Post   » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:41 am

Yep, Incredibly Picky! One day Raisin is in love with one veggie and another day she turns up her nose to it.

Well pampered she is. She can very well do it.

I thought pomegranate would choke her, but since you have tried will give it to her. It is very nutritious. Mausambi, will try that also. Methi (coriander leaves), she loves it. if methi-like smell is not a medical problem, what wrong with the scented pee ;)

Once had kept Guava tree's twig in her cage, with a few leaves on it. She chewed on the twig but didn't touch the leaves until they were dry. When I got up in the morning I saw her biting the dry leaves. I wasn't sure about it, as in it was safe for her, I kept it outside. She took out her li'l nose out of the cage to get a hold on the leaves. :)